X

Analog to Digital Gauge Question???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analog to Digital Gauge Question???

So, I'm thinking of doing a naked mod to my 96 600, because my fairings are in bad shape, and it's damn near impossible to find used ones in good shape. With my main challenge really being the gauge cluster, my question is this:

Is it possible to move to maybe a newer Gsx-R gauge, and if so, is it terrible difficult?

I don't think so. I don't know about the tach and things, but i would think you would at LEAST need a cable driven speedo from something. But then again, i don't KNOW that the gixxer speedo isn't cable driven, so i really have no clue.

Comment

I've also wondered something similar. I like having a gas gauge for example, but it could be smaller - see rant.* I would love to have a 1/4" tall by 2" sliding bar style gas gauge and then center the speed and tach.

*Rant: Seriously Suzuki...it is necessary for the gas guage it to be the same size as the other gauges? Is it just as important to know that I've gone from just above 1/2 a tank to just below it in the past 20 minutes as it is to know I'm cruising in 3rd on the freeway at over 9k rpm, or I'm going 55 in a 65?
      Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFish View Post
        I've also wondered something similar. I like having a gas gauge for example, but it could be smaller - see rant.* I would love to have a 1/4" tall by 2" sliding bar style gas gauge and then center the speed and tach.

*Rant: Seriously Suzuki...it is necessary for the gas guage it to be the same size as the other gauges? Is it just as important to know that I've gone from just above 1/2 a tank to just below it in the past 20 minutes as it is to know I'm cruising in 3rd on the freeway at over 9k rpm, or I'm going 55 in a 65?
        I believe the 750 fuel gauge is quite a bit smaller than the 600's and it should just plug in and work, maybe.

Comment

I don't have a Kat but I do ride a '93 GSX-R 750. I use a Acewell computer on my bike. You can see it in action here.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_YsFOgS_yU&feature=related"]YouTube - 1995 Suzuki GSX-R 750 39mm Keihin Flat Slide Carb[/ame]

You could add the same type of thing to your bike. I can't remember what the fairing bracket looks like on your bike but if you are going to fighter it I'm sure you could fab a bracket to mount it to your bike.

Does your bike have the mechanical/cable speedometer thing on the front wheel or does your bike get it's speedometer trigger from the front sprocket like the newer bikes?

My bike uses the cable and Acewell has a cable that goes right in to the speedo housing like the stock Suzuki cable. You could also use the magnet attached to the brake rotor and sensor zip tied to the bottom of the fork. The cable was an extra $10 for me but they include it now in the price of the computer.
          Last edited by utp216; 11-02-2009, 12:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by utp216 View Post
            i don't have a kat but i do ride a '93 gsx-r 750. I use a acewell computer on my bike. You can see it in action here.

youtube - 1995 suzuki gsx-r 750 39mm keihin flat slide carb

you could add the same type of thing to your bike. I can't remember what the fairing bracket looks like on your bike but if you are going to fighter it i'm sure you could fab a bracket to mount it to your bike.

Does your bike have the mechanical/cable speedometer thing on the front wheel or does your bike get it's speedometer trigger from the front sprocket like the newer bikes?

My bike uses the cable and acewell has a cable that goes right in to the speedo housing like the stock suzuki cable. You could also use the magnet attached to the brake rotor and sensor zip tied to the bottom of the fork. The cable was an extra $10 for me but they include it now in the price of the computer.

how much is the computer? And what model?

And i am having a problem where my bike a 90' kat 600f is not rev'ing above 6,000rpm's. What could cause this? It idles fine and sounds fine but the needles seems to stop at 6,000rpm
            when the tach goes up to 14,000

Comment

Same answer as i posted on your bandit guages thread with the addition that if you really want to you can add an electronic pickup etc to your bike & run an electonic speedo ( presuming you are confident with wiring)

tone
              Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Wow, I actually prefer the cheap ones. Very cool looking, but I wonder how visible it is in the sun light. I might prefer the analogue versions for that reason.
                  Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

i use these oil temp and water temp built in fully programmable

I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

Yup with the Acewell and Kosos you need a Hayabusa speedo pickup and a couple rare earth magnets. You put the magnets (4-6) in the buttons on the brake rotor and calibrate it to that.

I'm probably putting a Koso's on both my Speed Triple and my GFs Kat this winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Tripped1 View Post
                        Yup with the Acewell and Kosos you need a Hayabusa speedo pickup and a couple rare earth magnets. You put the magnets (4-6) in the buttons on the brake rotor and calibrate it to that.

I'm probably putting a Koso's on both my Speed Triple and my GFs Kat this winter.
                        the speedo pickup and magnets are included in the koso gauges now
                        I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

Thanks for the input

I'm not sure I'm gonna fighterize it yet. I still gotta decide how much money I wanna sink before I sell it, for something new. I really like the look of the acewell stuff though.

Comment

The question about whether you can run a new digital dash on a kat has been asked many many times... No one has had the #$%^ to try it. I almost nabbed an SV650 digital dash for a few bucks.. But lost last minute..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                              The question about whether you can run a new digital dash on a kat has been asked many many times... No one has had the #$%^ to try it. I almost nabbed an SV650 digital dash for a few bucks.. But lost last minute..
                              Not done it on a kat but have done it with an early model b6 & late model clocks, parts needed are clocks, sensor, sprocket pickup & a good mate with great electrical knowlage

Its been covered lots on oss so a good look through the posts there should supply all the answers
                              Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Working...
                              X