X

GPS Hook-up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Hook-up

I had the winning bid for a used portable GPS on eBay. It should arrive in a few days, and will include a suction cup windshield mount and an automobile cigarette lighter power cord. To install it on my '88 1100F Kat, I will probably put the mount on the top of my gas tank.

I currently have a battery charger cord connected to my battery. The end of the power cord has a two-pole SAE connector that rests near my left side clutch cover. I plan to purchase a cigarette lighter socket cable and mount it to the left side bike frame. The other end of the cable will have a two-pole SAE connector to connect to my existing battery charger cable, allowing me to have power for the GPS, as well as, access for my battery charge when needed.

Before proceeding further, I need to hear of any suggestions or alternative ideas for installing a GPS on a Kat. Thanks!

thats the same thing i did, just got a weatherproof 12v socket and an extra battery tender lead, and i hook it to the battery tender leads already installed on the battery itself

i just leave it under the seat when hooked up.

See My Garage for mods...
    T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
    Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

When I had my XM radio, I mounted it via a RAM mount to the top triple handlebar plate by drilling and tapping some 4-40 screws. By putting it on the proper length extension, the radio was above my tank bag and just below the gauges.

You could fabbed up something similar to keep the GPS somewhat within eye shot.

How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Here's mine:
        Attached Files
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

for mine i plan to weld a strut to the gauge stay, and put a small flat plate at the end of it, and securely attatch the plastic suction cup plate to it, so i can put my suction cup base on it

Comment

I just sold a GPS on eBay, purrrrhaps I sold it to you! At work, I work for a NASCAR company, we just got in a new GPS where Dale Jr. talks to you. I'm not into NASCAR but the concept is pretty sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
              I just sold a GPS on eBay, purrrrhaps I sold it to you!
              Sorrrry, you're not my eBay seller Enjay. I decided that I cannot use the existing battery charger cable to power the GPS. The charger cable is fused at 75 Amps, and the GPS power source should have a 10A to15A inline fuse. I decided to purchase a cigarette socket cable that connects to the two empty poles in the fuse box.

Comment

stupid question, i'm planning to install a gps as well but will the alternator be enough amperage to charge that up like that?? i don't want to overwork the alt and crap on me. thanks
                this is the best icon eva

Comment

the alt will have more than enough juice to charge a GPS

Comment

Originally posted by 96katana96 View Post
                    stupid question, i'm planning to install a gps as well but will the alternator be enough amperage to charge that up like that?? i don't want to overwork the alt and crap on me. thanks
                    Originally posted by 88kat60009 View Post
                    the alt will have more than enough juice to charge a GPS

and heated gear, and heated grips, and driving lights, and a coffee maker, and....

The Kat has a 540 watt (maybe it's 520, it's above 500 watts) capacity. Plenty of power for accessories...I know. I have a bunch of electrical farkles installed with never an electrical issue..
                    Last edited by squiggy; 10-24-2009, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                      Here's mine:
                      I really like that set up.

Not sure if the wingnut holds the GPS on, but I think I'd do something a little different if it does.
                      Project "I wear my sunglasses at night" is complete: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103420

Comment

thats whats nice about alternators over stators....

Comment

I just use the suction cup attachment and put it on the tachometer .
                          You never really use it while cruising anyway , so why not .
                          Scotty Doesn't Know ...Scotty Doesn't Know.. Don't Tell Scotty

Comment

Originally posted by 88kat60009 View Post
                            thats whats nice about alternators over stators....
                            Yep.

The next bike I wanna get is Suzzi's DR650 dual sport but it uses a stator and seems to have just enough to power itself with a very small margin of accessories.

That's what's nice about the BMW's dual sports-type bike, like the older F650 thumper, is it has a much greater capacity.

Comment

GPS Install Completed

My GPS suction cup mount to the top of the gas tank appears to be strong and easily removed for use in my other vehicles. It also allows spaced to neatly tuck my small tank bag in front of the mount. I've also installed a cig socket power source on the right side of my 1100. Though the socket bracket can be bolted to the frame, I decided to use zip ties and spare the frame any drilled holes. The tourer now has easily accessed power for GPS, Media Player, cell phone charge, heated apparel, tire inflation, etc.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X