X

sudden electrical failure

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sudden electrical failure

ok guys, i have searched and read almost all of the threads about this and none of them seem to be the same problem im having. i took my bike out for a ride today with no problems, even stopped to get some food, fired it back up and went home, after that the kat sat in the driveway for about 4 hours until i went to start it up to put it in the garage, NOTHING! no head light, no turn signals, horn, no starter. so i pushed her into the garage and checked the usuals (fuses, circuit breaker,battery) and all seemed to be in working order, so ive been trying to follow wires and whatnot and using my multimeter to see where im getting power and where im not, and im not finding anything thats supposed to get power thats not... im at what seems to be a dead end, any ideas?

fuse block connections, they sometimes get corroded.... cause an issue. Would cause no power anywhere.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

glad to hear you have a meter. pull each fuse adn check it for continuity. they can look good but still be toast. Red wire brings power TO the ignition switch. does the tail light have power when you put the key to the "Park" setting? if no, check the main fuse or breaker, and that the battery is fully charged. Clean and inspect the negative (ground) cable where it connects to the battery, and to the back side of the motor/frame. if yes to the park setting, the orange wire from the ign switch brings power back to the fuse block when the ign is on. there it splits and powers each circuit from there. check each fuse terminal to see if there is power with the key on (one side will be hot). If not, inspect the connections at the block. if still no power at the block, go up to the ignition wiring connector and check for power in the orange wire there with key on. those are the two main wires that power the entire skoot. check for power in the red wire at the connector (incomming), and at the orange wire when they key is on (outgoing). power at red, no power at orange when key on, faulty ign switch. (park bypasses the fuse block and powers the brown wire for the always on tail light)
      Last edited by DumbLuck; 09-07-2009, 02:54 AM.
      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

thanks for replying so fast guys.... well i went through your list and found that: the fuse block is all good, and that i only have two wires going to my ignition switch, both orange but one with a black stripe, the one thats just orange is hot when i push in the ignition button but only when i push that in. i am yet to check the ground on the back of the block but that is my next step. what i dont get is that nothing works but the oil pressure light witch has been on since i bought the bike... not any lights or anything

Comment

Moving to "electrics"

Hey, go slow and one step at a time, You say the oil light IS working?
          That's odd, do you have the schematic? I think there are links here somewhere.

Comment

i do one and have been working offa it, and when checking continuity at the connectors in the wiring harness, most things have power going to them yet nothing works. the POS PO aparently thought he was an electrical wiz and has done many questionable wirings throughout such as bypassing the kickstand switch and the neutral sensor, though the bike started and ran when i bought it, and has up untill yesterday. i just noticed that the kickstand relay has melted some of the wires that are attatched to it as well as the jumper that the PO used to bypass it, but would that really stop everything from working? i am yet to check the ground wire going to the engine due to not wanting to take the engine apart to find the end.. lol

Comment

I had a similar issue found one of the pins corroded in the starter solenoid plug (the one that plugs into the bit with a green cober and 2 40 amp fuses under the gear llever side fairing

Comment

Working...
              X