X

Lost Speedo and Odo...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Speedo and Odo...

I recently removed my rear wheel and re-installed with a new tire. After test riding the bike for 15 minutes.. I noticed speedo and odo are dead. No movement on the needle AND no odometer numbers or nothing.. as if no power was getting to that cluster section...

Now I've checked the fuses, so i know my probleme is either the speed sensor, a connector or faulty wiring.

Any idea how to test the sensor?

Anyone have the same problem in the past?

Could I have hurt the sensor putting the chain back on the wheel sprocket?

Thanks for reading, and for helping out if you can!

CHeers

Forgot to mention: I have a 2001 gsx 750f
    Last edited by Phoenix_Qc; 08-19-2009, 06:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

trace the wires make shure there not rubbing threw or unplugged.
    try cleaning the sensor and chain?
    that housing that the sensor just unbolts by itself to reveal the front sprocket. if im not confusing it with another bike.
    just unbolt that housing and clean that whole area theres always alot of crap(aka lube,grease,wax,dirt,grime) flung from the chain in there.
    i guess you coulda broke it but i really dont see how?
    shiny side up, at least when I'm not doing a barrel roll

Comment

Also check to see if you re-installed part #21. That's what the electronic sensor needs to read wheel rotation, or tranny output shaft rotation.

How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I just got done battleing a 3 week ordeal where my dash lights, instruments, turn signals and brake lights all went out intermittently and blew the signal fuse. Make sure you're checking the right fuse, because the instrument fuse may be just fine like mine was. Drove me nuts as it would work for days, then fail constantly. Finally tore the front of the bike apart including the dash and instruments, found nothing. Then was following the main harness on the right side of my 2K 600 back to the fuse box. Lo and behold, the harness was resting on the top of the engine cover, the plastic sleeve had melted through, and 2 wires were shorting to the engine cover as evidenced by the arc strikes. Then found the hole on the bottom that had burned through, and finally found two bare wires. Taped it all back up, reinstalled the plastic sleeve the other direction, and made sure the harness wasn't on top of the engine. Problem solved.

John
        Attached Files
        2000 Katana 600, Hooligan Bike
        2005 FJR 1300 ABS
        2001 Ninja 500 Hooligan Bike

When all ya got is hammers, everything looks like a nail - Unknown

Comment

if you're not careful it's easy to get the neutral switch and speedo senser wires pinched by the cover or chewed by the chain/sprocket. how did you check your fuses? they can look good but not have continuity when checked with a meter. it's also possible you have a loose ground somewhere up under the dash. most all of what you list is on a common ground (black with white stripe). here again, looks can be decieving. pull apart, inspect/clean, dielectric grease, and firmly reinstall the connections.
          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
          1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
          '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
          Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
          X