Jumping Bike & Flashing Light

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping Bike & Flashing Light

Hi everyone,

I have a HID kit on my '93 Katana. I put it on myself and did a plug 'n play set up. I didn't run any relays or any other wires. I do notice that when I’m going 60+ in 6th gear and turn on my signal, the bike jolts for a second. Sometime the HID will flash and bike stutters. I right away switch to my halogen bulb and everything is fine.
    I have some ideas as to what might be causing this but what to hear what everyone has to say.

P.S. I didn't buy a HID specifically for a motorcycle. I just bought a Slim Ballast and H4 (High/Low) bulb.

Originally posted by Konn750 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have a HID kit on my '93 Katana. I put it on myself and did a plug 'n play set up. I didn't run any relays or any other wires. I do notice that when I’m going 60+ in 6th gear and turn on my signal, the bike jolts for a second. Sometime the HID will flash and bike stutters. I right away switch to my halogen bulb and everything is fine.
    I have some ideas as to what might be causing this but what to hear what everyone has to say.

P.S. I didn't buy a HID specifically for a motorcycle. I just bought a Slim Ballast and H4 (High/Low) bulb.
    When you first turn on HIDs, there is a large power draw. Enough of a power draw will pull the power needed to run the engine. If the engine suddenly does not get spark, it will "jolt" or stutter.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

It happens to me rarely, but when it does happen. I'm riding for a long time and the bike has the HID turned on already for a long time.
      Last edited by Konn750; 08-18-2009, 03:44 PM.

Comment

If you didn't run a new power wire and relay I'm surprised your stock wiring has not burned up already. My guess would be that there is alot of heat buildup on your stock wiring causing this problem to only surface when the lights have been on for awhile. I'd try and run a relay and a heavier power wire for the lights and see if it clears.

Comment

It only happened to me twice. I also forgot to say that when I have the High Beam (Halogen bulb) on and turn the turn signal on. The gauge cluster dims with the same patter as the signal (Bright, dim, bright, dim).

My solution is to order all brand new wire harnesses and rerun them all. This is a cost full process but will solve any of my electrical problems.

Comment

A new wiring harness is going to be the same gauge wires feeding the headlight circuit. It is not designed to handle the current draw of the HID lights. Even if you replace the harness, you still need to run a separate power wire with a relay and a new ground. Otherwise you will end up damaging your new harness.

Comment

I notice the same gauge cluster dimming and brightening as my modulator flips the highbeams on and off. No problems with the bike running as a result though...
              /ˈpjuːdʒɪt/ sounder
              The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.
              ...and miles to go before I sleep.
              - The Cyberpoet (RIP 9/20/09)

Comment

Is there a write up as to how to set up HIDs with or without pics? What so I need. Like I said, for the most part my bike runs fine. I use my HID bulb when its night out. Day time I use my holagen bulb. Should I get a new battery?

Comment

get the HID kit off the OEM wiring harness. you're gonna melt something. wire it off the battery using some sort of relay as suggested. untill you isolate the huge initial power draw from the ignition system you aint gonna solve the problem
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I understand all that and will do it this weekend. I'm asking if anyone has a write up of how to do it.
                    Last edited by Konn750; 08-20-2009, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Is there any kits that have digital relay bult in or already setup for a plug and play? I found this kit: http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/servlet/the-314/DIGITAL-HID-XENON-CONVERSION/Detail is it any good. Is the site reputable? If yes then I'll buy from them a set and split the cost with my friend.

Comment

I've been running my hid off the stock plug and harness for over a year now. The hid only draws a couple amps. Its much less than the stock bulb draws and is completely safe for your wiring. The power spike that people worry about is only in effect for about 2-6 seconds depending on the temperature of the bulb. Its not even that big, just an extra amp or two. You have flickering lights and dimming gauges, meaning you have a different problem not related to the hid. Doublecheck your grounds and consider adding a ground wire from the battery to the frame and from the headlight to the frame. I guarantee your problems will go away.
                        The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

Working...
                        X