X

horn issues....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horn issues....

Hello all - I'm new to this forum, and new to the 04 Katana 750F that I bought about two months ago.

I've done some searching through previous posts and wasn't able to find anything about this issue.. (please direct me to a post if I've overlooked something)

So I have an issue with the horn... It works occasionally, and when it does work, it makes a quick honk, then stops working all together.. Seems pretty odd. It appears that the horn itself is good... Someone mentioned to me that a relay could be the problem... Any suggestions?

I'm slightly mechanically inclined, and willing to learn.

Thanks all!

welcome to the site i would start at the connections at the horn itself and work up from there good luck

Comment

Originally posted by downsouth View Post
      welcome to the site i would start at the connections at the horn itself and work up from there good luck

And, while you are at it, you might as well replace the OEM horn with a freeway blaster or nautilus

I found one at a local parts store (can't remember brand) for under $20 and it is as loud as my truck horn. It is funny to see the looks on people's faces when I honk the horn now.

KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
      and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.
      "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

defenetly change the stock

Comment

thanks for the tips joe and downsouth.

hopefully I'll get some time to mess around with it this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by joe View Post

And, while you are at it, you might as well replace the OEM horn with a freeway blaster or nautilus

I found one at a local parts store (can't remember brand) for under $20 and it is as loud as my truck horn. It is funny to see the looks on people's faces when I honk the horn now.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...highlight=horn
            phramm make a decent one easy to change

Comment

Originally posted by downsouth View Post
              phramm make a decent one easy to change
              Do you mean Fiamm?
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

the connections in the left switch pod can and do get all grubby/nasty or have the solder work loose. carefull, there's little springs and catch balls in them switches. check your service manual for wireing diagram and colors, as the horn does NOT go directly to ground at the horn like one might assume.
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                  the connections in the left switch pod can and do get all grubby/nasty or have the solder work loose. carefull, there's little springs and catch balls in them switches. check your service manual for wireing diagram and colors, as the horn does NOT go directly to ground at the horn like one might assume.

Your bike may have been left outside exposed to the elements. If this is the case, the contact points for the horn button may have started to oxidize, and formed an electrical resistance barrier. Clean the contact points, and apply dielectric grease to prevent that from happening in the future.

Another option that has not been mentioned, is the horn needs to be adjusted and tuned. Yes... tuned. Most people do not realize the horn on the bottom side has either a nut or a screw head that can be turned that will tighten or lossen the components of the horn it's self. This "tunes" the horn and will adjust the frequency and volume of the horn some. If it's too tight, the horn will not be loud, or will not work well some of the time (such as short intermittent sounds that cut in and out when you hold the horn button).

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Excellent information everyone!! Thank you!!

I can't wait to get off work now so I can go home and tinker around with the horn.

Will update the thread after I've had a chance to play around with it.

- Dan

Comment

Well, I had some time this weekend to tear apart the housing that holds the turn signal switches / brights / horn. (I'd like to say it was a pain in the you know what to get back together...)

No dice. The spring that keeps the horn button pushed away from the contact point appeared to be in good shape. Checked the horn itself and the connections did seem sound (didn't attempt to "tune" the horn). I'm gonna need to get me a Haynes book or something so I can see how everything is wired in there.

Thank you all for your help on this.

- Dan

Comment

I have the exact same problem with my horn, did you ever figure out what the problem was?
                        1993 GSX600 Katana => http://rides.webshots.com/album/576565373zGVUIM
                        2004 Custom chopper => http://rides.webshots.com/album/569828543jIfEOK

Comment

Tune the horn first. Bolt/screw in the center of it.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

You simply have to upgrade the horn. I can't imagine why anyone would spend time and energy trying to fix the stock one, I mean you can yell louder...
                            I have two horns (long story) and I did have to run a relay to get them to work.
                            (I thought the first one was defective, that's why I ended up with two)
                            So I will say that the current is a factor. The wimpy wires and a crudded up switch can limit the current and that will give you the "whaka" business from the horn.
                            I have my horns "hooked" into the gap in the frame over the coils.
                            I have had them there for 4 years or so. No issues.
                            I used a standard relay and had the whole mess hooked up in about an hour.
                            A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                            mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Comment

Working...
                            X