X

Newbiw with 93 kat no crank...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbiw with 93 kat no crank...

Hello all and thanks for looking and getting a fellow rider ready for the season. I'll make this short ans sweet..
    Brought bike for 750 bucks with 18,xxx on it. Bike was dropped on its side. Working on fairings(will post pics).Heres my imedeate problem..New battery two months ago I bought it..I installed it today and this is what I got..

Headlight on, no high beam(wored at first).
    Ingnition on, small click sound, start button, nothing.
    Bike is in neutral, clutch in.
    Tapped the starter with hammer, nothing.
    Is it possible that the battery discharged itself(stored in basement, not real cold, on floor)

will post pics tommorow. Thanks
    Riding is like a roll-a-coaster that you control

possible that the battery needs to be charged or is crap (slow charge only, less than 1 amp )
    if you got a volt meter,attach to battery and see what reading is when you try to start
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

thanks rexazz2

I will try to remember my meter from work. I am a trans tech so I have some mechanical knowledge in this field. Can't beleive I didn't think of that one. One thing for sure, I hate wiring problems...F$%^Ever seen a battery go like that though. It should be good, after all i brought it new.

Comment

Originally posted by bizzy102 View Post
        Is it possible that the battery discharged itself(stored in basement, not real cold, on floor)...
        Cement floor?... yep, sure thing. Allowing the battery to sit on cement can drain em.

Also, was it charged after you purchased it? Most new batteries require a charge before install.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yeah Kyeylyn. Thats sounds like that could do it too. It should have been charged when I go tit. They put the acid in it right there in front of me. I guess I assumed that it was all systems go from there. Will update you guys tommorow. Same time same place!!!!

Comment

Yeah Kyeylyn. Thats sounds like that could do it too. It should have been charged when I go tit. They put the acid in it right there in front of me. I guess I assumed that it was all systems go from there. Will update you guys tommorow. Same time same place!!!!

if it was dry charged and they filled it in front of you you need to charge for sure
            my guess at least 8hrs at 1amp if not using an automatic charger
            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

No Start

Hey people, just a update. I found out the problem with the starting. I brought my meeter home and for sure the battery didn't have much in it. It started and cranked fine. I found a connector next to the battery box. I checked the volts at one side of the twi pin connector and found 12v on one side and not the other..Pulled the connector apart and some crud fell out. Put it back to gether and 12v

Heres my next issue. No fuel coming out of the petcock. It will just crank all day. I took it apart to find somthing interesting inside. What do you make of it.
              What every that coil peice of metal is in there it sure looks funny...
              Attached Files

Comment

Hey people, just a update. I found out the problem with the starting. I brought my meeter home and for sure the battery didn't have much in it. It started and cranked fine. I found a connector next to the battery box. I checked the volts at one side of the twi pin connector and found 12v on one side and not the other..Pulled the connector apart and some crud fell out. Put it back to gether and 12v

Heres my next issue. No fuel coming out of the petcock. It will just crank all day. I took it apart to find somthing interesting inside. What do you make of it.
                What every that coil peice of metal is in there it sure looks funny...
                Unfortunately the pics are a bit blurry, so I can't clearly see what it is. I'm guessing.... the old spring and diaphram are toast. Do make sure the vacuum line on the back of the petcock is hooked up right though.

Rebuild kit is around $25, The Cyberpoet may carry them, or find them on ebay as well. As long as your screen (inside the tank, coming off the petcock) is good, you should really only need the rebuild kit.

Go to the wiki and do a search on petcock... lots of info there for you.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

No start

Well I thought of that but it was really hard to get the plastic cylinder back in so I will probably get a new petcock. I tried to blast through it with some carb clean and nothing came out. Don't know whats up with that???Hwen I pulled the lines of the petcock, no gas was in either lines.

Other than that I guess it will cost aorung 40 bucks or so. Hopefully.But I have another questions on this thing. I spilled some gas on my tank that I just painted with some rattle can paint. Looked good but the gas made it come off. I was wondering if anybody knew of a good paint for metal that is gas resistant(i.e rustolieum)..

Comment

Well I thought of that but it was really hard to get the plastic cylinder back in so I will probably get a new petcock. I tried to blast through it with some carb clean and nothing came out. Don't know whats up with that???Hwen I pulled the lines of the petcock, no gas was in either lines.

Other than that I guess it will cost aorung 40 bucks or so. Hopefully.But I have another questions on this thing. I spilled some gas on my tank that I just painted with some rattle can paint. Looked good but the gas made it come off. I was wondering if anybody knew of a good paint for metal that is gas resistant(i.e rustolieum)..
                    If you get a replacement petcock, unless it's new, I would still suggest the rebuild kit.

As for the paint, you need a good automotive clear over the paint to resist gas. Straight paint of any spray on type will come off with gas.

Someone mentioned it was possible to get automotive rattle can clear, but it's not cheap.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

I will look in to that. I found some cheap ones on ebay for about 10 bucks.. Iwill try that . Maybe I can get a new one tommorow

Comment

Working...
                      X