X

Couple of questions about wires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of questions about wires

Ok so I took the plastics off last night(I think I may just replace all the plastics instead of trying to repair them, lots of cracks here and there)
    and I found this little fan that is unplugged and has a big rubber tube(i dont have the manual and it isnt really pertaining to what it is but how i found it)

pic:

Why would this be unplugged? When I plugged it in it just turned on like it was hardwired.

Also I think I shorted something out.

At the tail where the brake light is there is a bundle of wires. two of which are not connected.

(Look where tips of my fingers are pointing)

After just kinda seeing what is going on back there I thought they may have been together at one time. (I am total noob when it comes to electrical wires unless its a plug and play operation lol) I went to see if maybe it was the reason the rear brake wont light up the tail light when depressed and i had no neutral, oil, or turn signal lights and no engine turn or spark.

But now only that little fan and the Headlight(low and hi) work when the key is. I checked the main fuses to see if maybe i popped or blew a fuse and they looked alright, however a spider had mad its death bed inside the fuse box lol.

Any ideas?

If need be I will just replace all the wiring harnesses and fuses. however the battery is rather new so I am doubtful of the battery being the problem.
    Last edited by ADyingBreed; 01-03-2009, 05:38 PM.

Oh no! California model!

The fan is there so that when you shut off the bike, it cools the carbs down so not so much gas vapor is atomized into the air. It's an emissions thing...

The two wires I THINK are nothing, I had similar ones on my 93. They kinda came from nowhere and went to nothing

Does it crank when you hit the starter or nothing? A lot of things can be at fault for nothing happening (faulty side stand switch, faulty clutch safety switch, faulty engine kill switch etc...) but if it cranks and doesnt start that's where the fun begins.

Edit: Judging by the state of the chain that bike has sat for a long time or been abused. Do you happen to know which is most likely the case?
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Bike is a California model. you can remove the fan. Not sure about the other wires.
      It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

id worry about changing that chain asap

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post

Edit: Judging by the state of the chain that bike has sat for a long time or been abused. Do you happen to know which is most likely the case?
          I think I'd be doing something about that chain before I went far.
          sigpic
          1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

Lol well The bike started up and everything electrical worked before those two wires where briefly connected by my dumbness. So I shorted something or blew a fuse somewhere. I hope I didnt mess up the CDI.

The bike had been sitting outside in south pasadena for like a year. I plan on getting a new chain as soon as I get it running properly. The carbs are the only thing from keeping the engine running properly once it kicks over. And I will most definitely need a clutch cable and possible a clutch rebuild.

bike fired right up when choked properly(no choke cable have to do it by hand so you have to get a feel for how much choke will turn it over)

Comment

black with white stripe is a ground wire, and that brown wire is the always on tail light/running light circut. tail light should be lit whenever the key is on. if your tail light works as advertized, then that wire is probibly for the license plate light. the license plate light should be on all the time also, along with the tail light. The black/white stripe is prolly the ground for the license plate light. you will probibly find another unused pair of brown and black/white stripe wires up front under the steering head also for 3 wire turn signals if you ever put running lights up front.
              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                if your tail light works as advertized, then that wire is probibly for the license plate light.
                Good call, I forgot I didn't have a plate light
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                  Good call, I forgot I didn't have a plate light

Comment

Working...
                  X