X

No Power With Key On

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Power With Key On

Hey guys. Last weekend we had warm weather and I went out to start the bike up to let it run for awhile. Hit the start button, she fired up and idled. I hit the gas and it died. Went to re-fire and the start clicked and I lost all power. All fuses are good and the battery checked out at 12.5 on the multi-meter. Now when i tried to hook up the battery charger, it went directly to "fault". It wouldn't try to charge the battery.

I wiggled the main harness coming off of the Alternator and the headlight came back on. I hit the start button and same thing. So I was thnking bad connection on the alternator. Cleaned the connection and it's still not doing anything.

I'm thinking it's the ground, I just have to take the plastic off tonight and find the end of the ground wire. Any other ideas?

I was out in the garage about 3 days prior to this with my turbo heater going full blast for about 6 hrs and noticed when I went in to start the bike that day that everything had condensation on it in the garage. So I hope I didn't get condensation into something and have it fry!

a battery can show 12.5v with NO amps. put your meter back on the battery, then turn on the key, and hit the starter watching what happens to the battery voltage. If it drops below 10 volts there will be no joy in mudville tonight. given the charger faulted, my bet is a battery that needs a funeral.
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Starter solenoid????
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
        a battery can show 12.5v with NO amps. put your meter back on the battery, then turn on the key, and hit the starter watching what happens to the battery voltage. If it drops below 10 volts there will be no joy in mudville tonight. given the charger faulted, my bet is a battery that needs a funeral.
        +1

Comment

The alternator shouldn't have anything to do with starting the bike, just charging the battery.

First make sure that the terminals on the battery are tight, and not corroded. Maybe add some dielectric grease to them while you're at it.

Then check the main fuse (or relay) to ensure it isn't blown.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I meant the solenoid not the alternator....lol. I was buried in Autodesk Inventor all day and my brain hurt! I'll have to check the battery tomorrow before I rip the plastic off! Thanks guys!

Comment

DL was right on, Battery is toast. Thanks man!

Comment

sorry to hear that, good batterys aint cheap. you're welcome
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I got a Yuasa for $46! Oh and a battery tender....lol

Comment

thats a great deal! where from?

Comment

Buddy of mine has a local shop I get parts at cost.

Comment

ah figures

Comment

Working...
                        X