X

For those that run Dyna coils?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those that run Dyna coils?

Hey ya all, I've got my Dyna coils and before I install them, I'd like to know what has worked well for you, as far as the plug gap size. I'm thinking I'll start at .035" and go from there.

So, any of you play around with different gap sizes? If so, what worked best?

None of you cool folks run Dyna's?

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Still feelin good about this mod? j/k good luck.
        Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Yea, I've upgraded coils on every vehicle I've owned. Made a big difference in every case.

Only asked if anyone has tried different plug gaps, as to save me time.

But the one reply I get is one of ignorance.

Comment

What kind of gains do you get from running different coils? And why can't you just use the spec. gap for the plugs? I'm just curious if this is a mod worth doing really.

Comment

Originally posted by streebs93 View Post
              What kind of gains do you get from running different coils? And why can't you just use the spec. gap for the plugs? I'm just curious if this is a mod worth doing really.
              If you run the stock plug gap, there no point in upgrading your coils as the energy needed to arc the gap is the same.

The point in the upgrade is to allow a larger spark kernel. It's said that the idea kernel size is .1" but one would need a shoe boxed size coil to do this.

I had a 68 Volvo that called for a stock gap of .026" I added an accel super coil and some AC Delco plugs gapped at .050" and I never needed to use the choke again. I did the same thing on my Toyota truck, when from .035" to .050" with very good improvement.

On my Kat I will try a gap of .035" and see how it works. The stock NGK plugs are only good for a max gap of .035" and Dyna claims a max of .040" on the coil. Given this, I'll go with .035" and see how it works.

Comment

Keep me filled in on this. I want to see if this is a worthwhile mod. If I understand right, with the new coils you get a bigger spark, which would result in a more complete burn correct?

Comment

The dyna coils will provide a slightly stronger spark.

I'm running NGK Iridium plugs at the stock gap .035"

FWIW your not going to notice a performance increase with a coil upgrade unless you have an ignition coil/wire issue causing a lack of hp. I replaced mine because they were corroded and the wires were in poor condition
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Gotcha! Thanks for the reply Hardlydangerous.

Comment

Working...
                    X