X

wiring problem only oil and neutral light

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring problem only oil and neutral light

looking for an answer, please help, only oil and neutral light no headlight and no power to cdi box.

couple days ago my bike did not start easy so i did the usual check and found out that my battery was way low so i filled it up and it started right up.

i went to start it after getting done work and it would not start up just an oil light and a neutral light, i checked most things but feel free to asked what i checked,
    I do not have
    headlight (high or low)
    horn
    turn signals
    tail light
    brake light
    cdi power
    instrument lights
    tach power

I do have
    fuel gauge indicator(the one that tells you the level)
    parking light (when the key is in park)
    power to all of the fuses
    oil light
    neutral light

my motorcycle is a 1990 katana 750 with a 600 engine.
    --------------------------

also random bit of info to share if your bike seems to have a weird running problem check the double diode that is under the battery it may be faulty.

your battery is prolly toast. check it with a meter. voltage bike off, voltage bike on, voltage bike on starter button pushed. if ANY of these is under 10v charge the battery overnite with a 2a charger. repeat tests. if ANY fail, replace battery
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

i did that already 12.8 everything off
      12.5 in the on position
      12.6 with the bike in parked(tail light on)
      starter button does not do anything.

Comment

run/stop switch on right grip/control. neutral safety switch, clutch safety switch, side stand safety switch. recheck all fuses and circut breakers (Main breaker or fuse separate from fuse box). pull each fuse and test for continuity.
        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.

Comment

I rechecked all safety interlocks including fuses side-stand clutch starter and all switches. thanks for answering but i don't think i can even try to start it unless i get lights back up front. if i don't get an answer soon, then i will just rebuld the wire harness.

Comment

?

check output on the key switch might have a bad switch

Comment

conundrum!
              "Too weird to live, too rare to die"
              Where's Waldo?
              sigpic

Comment

Hmm funny.
                I'd look at the ignition switch. This doesn't just tie the battery into a large buss.
                It ties two circuits out of four. You have A,B,C and D. In ON it ties A-B and C-D. In Park it ties A-D. So look at that, maybe wiggle the wires or check the connectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                  Hmm funny.
                  I'd look at the ignition switch. This doesn't just tie the battery into a large buss.
                  It ties two circuits out of four. You have A,B,C and D. In ON it ties A-B and C-D. In Park it ties A-D. So look at that, maybe wiggle the wires or check the connectors.
                  A-B <~ power to the whole bike , C-D <~ always on lights (head & tail) only if A-B is passing power thru

A-D "parking" lights (brown wire to tail light and unused brown lead up front)

A is power from the alt/battery

B brings power from the ig switch to the fuse block

C ties in with B at the fuse block and returns power to the ign sw once B is energized at the ign switch

D brings power to the headlight, and running light circut
                  Last edited by DumbLuck; 12-12-2008, 01:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Wondering if there was a resolution to this. My bike did the exact same thing last night. I started it and rode if from my shed to my garage (~50 yards) and shut it off. I let it set for about half an hour and when I came back, it had nothing but the neutral and oil lights. It acts like someone flipped a switch.

I read in Hayne's that there is a circuit breaker on some bikes, but wasn't able to locate one on mine ('94 GSX750).

BTW, I've put a charger on the battery and checked all the fuses and easy to reach connections (with fairings and tank off) with no luck. Haven't gotten the test light and ohm meter out yet but that's for tonight unless someone knows the answer.

Thanks.
                    2003 Ducati ST4s ABS

Comment

I still suspect is was the ignition switch. Pre 750s don't have a circuit breaker.

Comment

It's fixed!!

I turned out to be the connector on the small ground wire off the battery. Sometime in the past, the battery had leaked and screwed up some of the paint on the left side of the frame. Acid also got into the connection and corroded it. I wasn't able to clean it, so I had to cut it out and solder in a new one. Works line new now.

Thanks for all the input.
                        2003 Ducati ST4s ABS

Comment

just thought i would add the gound wire going to the frame had corrosion on it so the electronics not grounding to the frame worked, i have since then fixed that with 12 gauge wire. Also relay coil and igniter mod.

Comment

Working...
                          X