X

Taillight Bulbs 1157 vs 2357

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taillight Bulbs 1157 vs 2357

I was just messing around with the taillight on my 06 750 and noticed that it had LED bulbs that were weak and I decided since I have a red taillight lens that I would switch over to the 1157 bulb and get a brighter output, Well in my searches I found that a 2357 bulb will remain the same brightness on the running light but the brake portion is brighter.

Here is a small info section that shows the difference, IMO every bit helps when we are up against cagers.

As you can see in the graph the 2357 has 8 more candlepower than the 1157 does. Also the 2357 only takes .1 more amp than the 1157 so it has a negligble effect on the power consumption.

BULB# Voltage Amperage Filament MSCD Hours
    1157 12.8/14 2.10/0.59 32/3 1200/5000
    2357 12.8/14 2.23/0.59 40/3 400/5000

Tmod
    Last edited by Tmod; 11-16-2008, 02:54 PM.

Thanks for the information TMOD. This will come in handy when someone wants to change out for a brighter bulb.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

thanks for posting the info! even tho i have no clue how to decipher the numbers lol but good info!
      sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
      k9 GSX-R 600
      GO VOLS!

Comment

Turn Signal Bulbs

I also found that the 7507LL Amber bulbs are alot brighter than the chrome/amber bulbs that come on the bikes with the white turn signal lenses. They don't take anymore power they just are not as dark of a coating on the bulb.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
          Well in my searches I found that a 2357 bulb will remain the same brightness on the running light but the brake portion is brighter.
          Very interesting.

I converted my front turn signals to a dual element bulb by using the brake light socket to serve as running lights and turn signals. What I don't like about it is how relatively dim the running light is.

With your info, I'm going to go to the auto store to find those 2357 bulbs.

How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
            Very interesting.

I converted my front turn signals to a dual element bulb by using the brake light socket to serve as running lights and turn signals. What I don't like about it is how relatively dim the running light is.

WOW... Thats a great idea. I never thought of that.
            sigpic
            Update Jul 11 2014
            Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
              Very interesting.

Maybe I didn't word that right but the 2357 is only brighter on one side, As far as the taillight the running light side of it is no brighter than the regular 1157 bulb it is just that the brake light portion of it is brighter. I don't think those 2357 bulbs will do what you want.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Rok_Stars_Bars View Post
                WOW... Thats a great idea. I never thought of that.
                The housing for the brake light socket and front turn signal is the same so they mate together without any modification.

Also the later model Katana's, when Suzi changed the rear tail, have dual brake lights, so that all you would have to do is by one of those instead of two of the +98 model.

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                Maybe I didn't word that right but the 2357 is only brighter on one side, As far as the taillight the running light side of it is no brighter than the regular 1157 bulb it is just that the brake light portion of it is brighter. I don't think those 2357 bulbs will do what you want.

Tmod

Awwwww, man.

Comment

OR... OR... you could get an h1157... halogen filled overkill. drool
                  I am King Sam

--I have a wedgie!
                  --It's a thong, just relax and accept the string.

Comment

i have one of these in my KLR, incredibly bright and the strobing feature is GREAT! LEDs are RED.

the Concours version is even more expensive, but might fit the pre 98 Kat tail light.

here's a CLONE version, but it's less expensive-
                    ATTENTION: TPI is currently dealing with urgent family medical issues. We may not be able to answer phones during business hours. However, we are checking and answering all emails and phone messages and are we are filling on-line orders. If you have

would need to fab standoffs if the KLR version fits in the lens, and that would leave space on the side for turn signal LEDs

perhaps a pair of the 1W wide angle LEDs like these on each side. i'd try the amber for the turns.
                    LED module with aluminum housing using high power led. LED modules for high power needs. Super bright.

just thinking out loud... need to see if the KLR board fits in the pre'98 Kat taillight first.
                    KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Sambo1987 View Post
                      OR... OR... you could get an h1157... halogen filled overkill. drool
                      50W/15W bulb.

It is up to you to determine if this bulb will work in your bike.
                      Please make sure the wires will handle the increased current load

and the stop lamp or turn signal enclosures will not overheat.
                      haha.

Here's some other info on the 2357 & H1157 bulb.
                      Last edited by squiggy; 01-09-2009, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Just sayin'. Squiggy, don't be hatin' on my halogen filled overkill idea.. If someone wants to run 50w back there more power to them.
                        I am King Sam

--I have a wedgie!

Comment

Originally posted by Sambo1987 View Post
                          Just sayin'. Squiggy, don't be hatin' on my halogen filled overkill idea.. If someone wants to run 50w back there more power to them.
                          Not at all. No hating here.

Shoot, more the better.

Comment

That's right... The more the merrier
                            I am King Sam

--I have a wedgie!

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020 View Post
                              Thanks for the information TMOD. This will come in handy when someone wants to change out for a brighter bulb.

Comment

Working...
                              X