X

finding tack problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding tack problem

still working on finding why my tack is not reading correct, i have check the signal generator i believe it good, am getting a good rpm reading at the plug (1000 rpm),and i get a goood rpm reading into the ic igniter,going out of the ic igniter,the rpm reading jumps up to 2500 to 3500 am thinking my ingiter is the problem ,anybody ever had this problem ao any idea?,,,, all the wires look ok ,and the zero out with my ohm meter,, thanks 4 the help

If all the wiring is straight, it's probably a problem with the tach itself. Do you have a spare you could test it with?
    The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

i used my tack on my ohm meter, and check it where it goes into the igniter ,but when i check it coming out, it was reading 2500 to 3500, same as the tack, a guy at the bike shop said its the igniter, i need to make sure, 500 dollor is a lot of money 4 me

Comment

Whoa, don't spend 500 on an igniter. Go on ebay and find one. They range from 50-85 bucks at most. 500 is crazy.
        The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

Sorry, I just had to dig this up. Although you haven't been here in three months. You have to tell me the out come of you tach problem or if qnyone else has gone thru this situation with their tach not reading accurately. If you or anyone else has changed the igniter, did this solve your problem?

Comment

the igniter sends a signal to the tach that it's firing a plug. the tach then interprets this and displays it by moving the needle, basicly just displaying the number of pulses sent in a given amount of time. pretty simple. try a different tach
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I'm not convinced it's the igniter. Bike runs fine, just showing more rpm's than what it is actually running at.

Anyone want to donate a tach?

Comment

Have you tried an automotive diagnostic tachometer?

Or even a inexpensive or used tacho on ebay.
                How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

My tach is fine, I'm heading in the direction of the igniter not the cdi. Something tells the tach to work, so you would start there.

Comment

Here's the deal. With me being one that cannot leave things alone until they work correctly, I took off the side cover to the timing advancer, signal generator, igniter, or what ever you want to call it. Took a can of MAF sensor cleaner and put a rag underneath the advancer, sprayed the crap out of it, wiped everything down and hooked up the tach. Started it, make sure you put the side cover back on. Now the tach reads at the 1200 rpm's I set the bike at. I'm happier than a pig in shiat because I'm finally done fiddling.

On another note, my advancer says Factory Suz 2 on it. What does this mean?

Comment

Working...
                    X