X

First Katana, a few issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Katana, a few issues

Hi all, I'm brand new to these forums, and as of yesterday became the proud owner of a 2000 GSX750F. But it has a few little problems I would like to try and address myself, I'm just not sure where to look and don't have a shop manual yet (although I'm not mechanically inclined anyway). Well the first problem is the neutral light doesn't come on, and my first impression was the bulb was burnt out, but after a bit of research I've discovered it may be related to another problem, which is, the bike will not start, at all, with the kickstand down, in neutral, or not (clutch in), just won't start, and it will kill when I put the stand down, even if its in neutral. So as far as I can tell that shouldn't be normal, in neutral at least, so any suggestions on that would be awesome. Next minor issue (I hope), is the brake light does not turn on when I use the rear brake. I'm sure it's wiring, I just don't know where the wiring runs.

Thanks all for your time!

Not sure if this will help

Check out this link (provided by SLYDVL) that has several manuals. Did not really go in a look to see if yours was included. Hopefully it helps.

Karma is like a boomerang what you put out into the world comes back at ya, so be nice or duck.

Comment

if you are not getting the light to come on and will not start with the kickstand down I would be looking at the neutral sensor switch

check to see if it is plugged in ,on yours I believe it is located directly below front sprocket on your bike

if you try to start at any time make sure it in in neutral because you are overiding fail safes

if it is plugged in and it is a single wire , unplug and see if the light comes on

if it doesnt come on , it is a sngle wire , try and ground that wire to the frame , if the light comes on then replace the sensor

if this doesnt work you likely have a wiring issue
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

You've got an 8 year-old bike. I'm on my 4th used bike in 20 years of riding and they've all had little glitches. Right now I'm fighting carb issues. Nothing too major (the bike runs great) but my point is that there's always something when the bike's used. Best bet is to pick up a Clymer manual (I like it better than the Haynes for bikes.) or a factory shop manual. Read, read, read and then follow the instructions. You'll learn fast, save money on repairs and maybe even enjoy the process.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
          if you are not getting the light to come on and will not start with the kickstand down I would be looking at the neutral sensor switch

check to see if it is plugged in ,on yours I believe it is located directly below front sprocket on your bike

if you try to start at any time make sure it in in neutral because you are overiding fail safes

if it is plugged in and it is a single wire , unplug and see if the light comes on

if it doesnt come on , it is a sngle wire , try and ground that wire to the frame , if the light comes on then replace the sensor

if this doesnt work you likely have a wiring issue
          So I guess I have determined it's the sensor. What is a sensor going to cost me? on Average. And what would happen if I just permanently grounded that wire, would the neutral light just stay on?

Is my brake problem going to be a similar sensor issue?

Comment

Originally posted by miketothesteve View Post
            So I guess I have determined it's the sensor. What is a sensor going to cost me? on Average.
            Ron Ayers shows a cost of $39.00 for the sensor, unless you want to suport your local parts dealer.

Originally posted by miketothesteve View Post
            Is my brake problem going to be a similar sensor issue?
            That could be a simple bulb replacement.

You do have a brake light switch on each brake lever, but check the bulb first. If it is only the rear, then check the electrical plug at the rear brake (foot) pedal.
            Last edited by squiggy; 09-07-2008, 08:28 PM.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
            X