X

92 1100 electrical problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 1100 electrical problems

Ok so its my first day here, and I'm already asking questions, sorry guys.

Picked up this 92 Kat 1100 yesterday, I knew it had a couple small problems, and a rattle can paint job, but its a solid bike with 22000 on it.

Long story short, it was laid down on the right side, and the right turn signals were tore off. Instead of finding stockers to replace them the guy replaced them with cheap After market stick ons and tried to rewire them. He played with the turn signal wires front and back, and he played with the brake / tail light wire.
    Since putting on the new turn signals the brake light doesn't work, but the tail light does. The turn signal light up but do not flash.

I took the seat off, undid his nightmare of electrical work, cleaned things up best I could, still no brake light, and the bulb is good. So now I start thinking maybe its the switch on the brakes? Naw both wouldn't go bad at once would they? Upon further investigation I found that the right front fuse in the fuse box was blown. I turned the key to off, put the new 10 amp fuse in, turned the key on, and before I even hit the brake to check the light the fuse popped. Being the quick learner I am, I repeated this procedure three more times DUH!!!

Question is does anyone here have a clue as to what would make that fuse blow? Is it supposed to be a 10 amp, or is supposed to be a bigger one? I have checked every place on the harness that has wires outside the covering, nothing is grounded, or bare.
    I'm hoping someone is gonna say he man,this is typical, just change out this or that.

Not typical.. No telling what the PO did.
    You're gonna need a multi-meter, the schematic, a 6 pack and nothing else planned...

Comment

Well I don't believe it, but it actually happened. When It comes to electrical stuff I normally plan on spending a few days figuring out the problem, but I got luck today, and within a couple hours found the shorted wire, re wired the stuff the guy I bought the bike from had all messed up, and figured out the brake light issue. I now have a working brake light, and turn signals too. Well, I don't know for sure about the turn signals, as the bike came without any usable ones, but my tester light flashes when hooked to the wires so it looks promising right now.

Now all I have to do is sand, bondo, and paint the plastics, change the rear rotor, and I'm on the road. Oh yeah and I need a set of mirrors, and turn signals.

Comment

Working...
      X