X

Ignition Removal pre98

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Removal pre98

Ok, I have searched and searched and I am glad to see that other riders have had the same "lost key" dilemma that I have currently. That being said, it seems that everyone that lost a key and asked for help, had a 98+ which my understanding is it is a little different. I am trying to find a how-to with pictures to remove the ignition! Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. It is a 97 Kat 750.

The other thing that I will mention is that when I did have a key, it would not turn to the LOCK part. Does anyone know if that is a key or ignition issue? Is it a common problem?

Last but not least, I saw that there was someone on here (maybe a few people) that had just put in a hidden toggle and basically hot-wired the bike and would only start when the toggle was on. If someone wanted to PM me (for obvious reasons, you wouldn't just want to post that) how to do that, it may help in my dilemma. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Jason
    1997 Kat 750. Work in progress. Keep you up to date!

It's easier to take the top triple tree off and unplug the ignition. I used a small and very sharp chisel to remove the screws that hold thee switch to the tree. The screws are designed to break if you try to remove them. I kept hammering on the top of the screw head until I cut a deep enough slot for a screwdriver. Plus with all the hammering, it loosened the screws. I just replaced the damaged screws with cap bolts or hex head bolts. Took me about an hour. My lock is screwed up also so I really didn't care about the switch. It's soon to be replaced.

Comment

I too pulled off my triple tree. Then with a dremel I ground off the little nub left on the head of the break away screws. I carefully drilled a #40 hole down the middle of the screw and used a screw extractor.

Comment

I just used a cold poured chisiel and broke away the aluminum housing on the ignition around the screws, then once it was out of the way I used pliers to remove the screws. Basically I just snapped off the ears.
        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

try removing them first. Mine came off with no issues very easily. I believe it was a star bit very small
          2004 TRX45R fully built race quad MX and TT
          1998 Triumph Daytona 595T 955cc
          "To thine own self be true"
          TNT Billiards and Powersports

Comment

i used a socket that was just slightly smaller than the safety bolts. I tapped the socket into place with a hammer and they came out quite easily.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Now on the other questions:
              Not turning to the "lock" position, two possibilities;
              a. the bars were not turned far enough to engage the lock, the wheel needs to be almost all the way to one side (turned right or left) to put it in "lock". Changes to the handlebars could prevent that. (this is so the bike is locked in a tight turn and can't be pushed away too easily)
              b. the lock is gummed up. A peg pops out of the ignition lock and hooks a notch on the steering stem. The pegs could be all gunked up with dirt. Or someone tried to break the lock in the past and it's all bent/bashed up.

About hot wiring the bike. It wouldn't matter if I shouted it from the roof. It's all about where the switch is hidden, and if you did it. You would need two switches or a two pole switch. What you want to do is jumper the Red to the Orange wire and the Grey to the Brown wire. But not all four together, one pair is the lights the other pair the ignition.

Comment

Ok, so here is the most current update. I was under the impression that this adventure was going to cost me $8 and some of my time. I was under that impression because a shop down in Kentucky told me to bring in the ignition which holds the key code and they will make me a key. So, I dove into the project head first. Once I was able to get it all apart, disconnect the ignition and get it off the bike, I had the shear-head bolts to tackle. I got lucky on one, it had enough of a groove that it came out with a flat head. Number two had to be extracted but none-the-less I got it out. Ok, feeling pretty good about myself I head down to the shop in KY to get my key made. I get there and they tell me that there is no code on this ignition!!! One guy said he thought he had seen this before, like from 96-02 they stopped putting them on there for some reason. So, I call a locksmith just down the road and he says he can do it, but won't be finished till the next day. So, I try another locksmith, and he says similar results but says it may be done the same day. I take it to them, and ended up picking it up the next day to the tune of $45. Not terrible, but not happy when I thought it was going to be $8 in the beginning... He also mentioned that there was a four digit number on it, he made a key to that, but it didn't work!

Ok, so now the ignition is back in the bike and it all works like it did once before. Before I put the ignition in, I tested the lock portion and the little metal stud goes in and out just fine! Once I put it on the bike though, it won't go into the frame hole. Anyone have this problem? Thanks for all the replies!!!

Comment

Silly question... But from my experience with my Kat, If the handlebars totally hard over and I try to lock it, it wont go. Have you tried something as simple as just moving the bars a little while trying to lock it? I just have to nudge the bar a hair and it locks perfectly. (BTW, reason I replaced my ignition was a melted terminal in its harness... not for the loss of a Key)
                  If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                  Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

I used an RCA jack mounted to my frame, and a shorted RCA plug on my keychain. When it's inserted, it grounds out, and kicks a relay over that turns everything on. I honestly can't remember right now if I used the factory +12V wires, or if I ran a new one from the battery. I'd have to check. Either way, I only used one relay to turn on everything, and it works like a charm. The RCA jack, on the other hand, was not such a good idea. Let's just say it's far from weatherproof. I'll have to figure out something different. Hotwiring a bike is not difficult at all. As a matter of fact, hotwiring a car isn't difficult at all, either.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
                      Silly question... But from my experience with my Kat, If the handlebars totally hard over and I try to lock it, it wont go. Have you tried something as simple as just moving the bars a little while trying to lock it? I just have to nudge the bar a hair and it locks perfectly. (BTW, reason I replaced my ignition was a melted terminal in its harness... not for the loss of a Key)
                      Ok, ok so I lost my keys....so what! Anyway, yeah I have tried nudging, wiggling, small movements, pulling on the handlebars, sneezing on them, kicking, punching, placing the bike at an 84.73 degree angle, meditating, praying and when all that failed, I even tried turning the key really hard! Once kay breaking became imminent, I just quit! I'm not sure if its just not lined up or what but I can see the little stud come out. I will look furter...

Comment

Working...
                      X