X

Tach Signal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach Signal

I'm looking for input as to the best place to draw a tach signal from. My logic thus far says I could take it anywhere between the signal generator and the actual tachometer on the dash. I know it goes into the ignition system and the signal gets changed to a signal that the Tach can recognize before being sent to the dash.

It seems that I could, however, take a reading from the signal generator itself. It has 4 points on it, so every 4 "signals" would equate to one rotation right? I guess that assumes that the 4 points on the generator are evenly spaced.... but one point is exactly 360 degrees from itself (obviously, kinda thinking out loud here)...

I'm also assuming that this is a Hall/optical/etc. style vs. a VR circuit style ignition system. Anybody know for sure?
    None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
    -Robert Morrison

"
    well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Knowing why may help.
    But I can tell you that an Acumen gear indicator takes the signal right at the gauge.
    Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
    '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
    '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
    '11 Kawasaki KLR650
    I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

Thats helpful...

Megasquirt is an ECU that controls fuel injection... It takes a tach signal as an input and I'm trying to figure out where to get a signal...
      None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
      -Robert Morrison

"
      well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

1 full revolution of the motor is 8 turns of that nut, not 4.
        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

When I install my Audiovox cruise control, I taped into the white wire on the left coil for the RPM sensor.

How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

the tach is run off the CDI. check your wiring digram for which color wire it is
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
            X