Fuse blows if I turn on right signal light

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuse blows if I turn on right signal light

could it be the switch?

They worked the other day with the exception of the left front light not blinking.

I zip tied some loose wires on the tail (turn signal lights) and then drove it to the car wash. I noticed the neutral light did not work but I sprayed the bike off. Then i drove it home and noticed the tach, horn and signal lights did not work.

I replaced the fuse, turned on the signal lights on the left side and they would just stay on steady.

I turned it on the right side and the rear light just barely lit. Then it popped the fuse again.

I then unplugged the left side signal and put in another fuse and it popped again when I turned on the right signal light.

I unplugged the right rear signal light and put in a fuse and it still popped the fuse when I turned on the right side.

I bought a new flasher and was going to replace it but I was unable to locate the old one on the bike. Would that cause it to blow fuses or do you think it is the actual switch on the handlebar?

www.WVstreets.com

To much current draw causes the fuse to blow, I would check for a hot wire that is being grounded.

It could be a switch, relay or just a wire somewhere that has broken insulation.

Tmod

Comment

You got it wet at the car wash? Something got wet that wasn't supposed to.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

i just lightly sprayed it off.

this is the flasher i bought but i can not find it anywhere on the bike. is this the correct part:

www.WVstreets.com

Comment

year and size would might be a tad helpfull. my pre 750's turn signal flasher is a rectangle hung on the back side of the battery box fed by 2 wires
          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
          1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
          '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
          Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I would love to see someone in one of those Gordan Fishermans rainsuits holding their kats upright while in an automated car wash. Now that would be funny.
            If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
            Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
              year and size would might be a tad helpfull. my pre 750's turn signal flasher is a rectangle hung on the back side of the battery box fed by 2 wires
              i had the year in my sig, it is a 1996 600cc

maybe that is why i could not find it, i was looking for a round one as in the photo. i pulled the battery out, do i need to remove the battery holder as well to get to it?

www.WVstreets.com

Comment

would it be possible for a bad flasher to cause the fuse to blow?

www.WVstreets.com

Comment

it's possible if it's shorted, but not real likely. look for a 2 wire connector with a orange with green stripe, and a sky blue wires. (i dont have a 600 wiring diagram in front of me but that's the pre 750's wire colors) you can download a service manual on KatRiders somewhere. dont remember exactly where. change the flasher, and if it still blows fuses start chasing the signal wires. usually green for the right signal, and black for the left signal. the ground is black with a white stripe. power to the switch is the sky blue from the signal flasher.
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                    it's possible if it's shorted, but not real likely. look for a 2 wire connector with a orange with green stripe, and a sky blue wires. (i dont have a 600 wiring diagram in front of me but that's the pre 750's wire colors) you can download a service manual on KatRiders somewhere. dont remember exactly where. change the flasher, and if it still blows fuses start chasing the signal wires. usually green for the right signal, and black for the left signal. the ground is black with a white stripe. power to the switch is the sky blue from the signal flasher.
                    thanks.

great news, it is supposed to rain here for the next 5 days so it will be a while before i can fix it lol.

www.WVstreets.com

Comment

Wait... you are one of those who wait for good weather to go work on your bike? Wheres the rainsuit? Borrow your neighbors carport. Toss a tarp over the bike and get busy under it. You got 5 crappy days to solve the problem So you can ride agian on the first nice day.... Get busy!!

Just ribbin ya bro

Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                        To much current draw causes the fuse to blow, I would check for a hot wire that is being grounded.

It could be a switch, relay or just a wire somewhere that has broken insulation.

Tmod
                        Some people carry on
                        Some just stay right where they are
                        Our worlds divide

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
                          Wait... you are one of those who wait for good weather to go work on your bike? Wheres the rainsuit? Borrow your neighbors carport. Toss a tarp over the bike and get busy under it. You got 5 crappy days to solve the problem So you can ride agian on the first nice day.... Get busy!!

Just ribbin ya bro

lol.

BTW I used to go to RI all the time in the summer. I really like it up there, we would hang out in Providence, Warwick and Block Island.

www.WVstreets.com

Comment

Originally posted by mrphotoman View Post
                            lol.

BTW I used to go to RI all the time in the summer. I really like it up there, we would hang out in Providence, Warwick and Block Island.
                            Well, I live in Providence, work in Warwick and go to BI when I get bored LOL So you covered where I am 70% of the time, the remaining 30% I'm out on the Kat trying desporately to get lost and find a nice road. Not many here in southern NE tho.

Comment

Working...
                            X