Best lamps for headlights on a 98+ Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best lamps for headlights on a 98+ Kat

Hi,

How can I improve the light quality and visibility in my 98+ kat withou going for xenon lamps?
    Has anyone tried to put more powerful lamps?

Thanks,

I've had PIAA lights before, and they burn out QUICK. Same with Silverstars. I just put the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras in, and they light the road extremely well, especially after adjusting the headlight position up. They're also supposed to last longer than the old models. My vote is with the Silverstar Ultras.

Comment

From what I've seen. Just about everyone here will vote for the Silverstar Ultras. They may burn out before the year is over but they have a nice warranty and you should be able to take them back to the store for a new set.

Comment

Get the HID light kit for your bike. I just slapped it on my bike last night and WOW is there ever a difference.....
        I am a Penn State fanatic.
        Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
          I just slapped it on my bike last night
          Yeah, I wish it was THAT easy.

Comment

i just put a set of nokya in and i think they are very good. i got the artic white ones (i think thats what they are called), also look very white when you look at it. the little center light right above the headlights looks very orange now compared to these. thats just my opinion, ss ultras as well though cause i saw them b4 and they looked good.

Comment

Originally posted by Absolutnati View Post
              Yeah, I wish it was THAT easy.
              It is that easy.

No offense bro, but an epileptic monkey with Downs Syndrome could install a set of HID's.

Silverstars are a joke compared next to a set of HID's. You can get an upgraded wiring harness for $72 (and if you are running any headlight upgrade, you should have an upgraded harness for it), and the HID's for around $70 delivered from eBay. They are brighter, have a better light pattern, and last longer than the Silvania's.

HID is the way to go, if you are doing a headlight upgrade.

- Darrell
              Originally posted by Nero
              "Be the ball, Danny. Be the ball."
              SUPPORT YOUR FORUM: Buy a KR decal!

MY 2001 600 KATANA - Sold... But never forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow_kitty_kat View Post
                It is that easy.

No offense bro, but an epileptic monkey with Downs Syndrome could install a set of HID's.

Silverstars are a joke compared next to a set of HID's. You can get an upgraded wiring harness for $72 (and if you are running any headlight upgrade, you should have an upgraded harness for it), and the HID's for around $70 delivered from eBay. They are brighter, have a better light pattern, and last longer than the Silvania's.

HID is the way to go, if you are doing a headlight upgrade.

- Darrell

Maybe he wasn't refering the the difficulty of install, he may have been refering to $$$$

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
                  Maybe he wasn't refering the the difficulty of install, he may have been refering to $$$$
                  Touche...

But at like $40 a set, and the fact that they (Silverstar's) die pretty quickly, you would spend that much on headlights anyway after a while.

The initial purchase price may seem steep, but the safety/visibility factor is priceless. Plus, the longevity of the HID bulbs make up for it in the long run.

Comment

i agree it's like people lookin at me like a dummy for buying cartons of cigarettes....where i spend $30 upfront they spend $4 every day plus gas to the store...Can't save some people money, they like giving it away lol

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

I am with you on that, whitecl0ver.

It is hard for a lot of people to see the big picture.
                      Last edited by yellow_kitty_kat; 05-15-2008, 01:42 PM. Reason: eh...

Comment

Yeah, it's not the money. I really had 2 questions about the HID install.

1) How do you wire the wiring harness and the difficulty?

2) Do you have to do any modifying to the headlight housing holes or the black rubber protective covers in the back of the bulb to get them to fit over it?

Comment

Yeah, it's not the money. I really had 2 questions about the HID install.

1) How do you wire the wiring harness and the difficulty?

2) Do you have to do any modifying to the headlight housing holes or the black rubber protective covers in the back of the bulb to get them to fit over it?

1: Unbolt the tank, and lift it slightly to route the harness under it. After it is in place, connect it to power & ground, install the included relays, and plug in the lights. It sounds easy, because it IS easy.

2: I took off my headlight housing because I had the skins off my bike to do the mesh mod - and it gives you more room to work. the HID bulbs are not a lot bigger than standard H4 bulbs, if any, and the only thing coming out of the back and through the factory holes in the boots are the wires from the HID's. Zero mods required for the boots.

I made a video on it.

Comment

Yeah, I think I watched it... the one that made me dizzy and my eyes crossed!!

Sounds easy enough. Two more questions though. I saw they have the Bi-Xenon Kit for Hi/Low Dual. It's $99 plus $49 shipping. Is that the one I need? And did you remove your OLD wire harness from the bike?
                            Last edited by Absolutnati; 05-15-2008, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I think I watched it... the one that made me dizzy and my eyes crossed!!

Sounds easy enough. Two more questions though. I saw they have the Bi-Xenon Kit for Hi/Low Dual. It's $99 plus $49 shipping. Is that the one I need? And did you remove your OLD wire harness from the bike?
                              1: Beats me man. I went on price, and $72 was a lot more palatable than more than $72.

2: The harness from www.suvlights.com plugs into your existing harness, and give you high/low switch capability. You take your old light bulbs out, plug the harness into the light plug, install the new HID's, and then plug them into the two open receivers on the new harness.

Comment

Working...
                              X