X

wiring LEDs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring LEDs

I have a set of LEDs for for putting around my bike and it sort of came as a kit already put together (I mean wired). The switch already has wires and fuse to go to the battery and 2 sets of wires coming out to hook up the LEDs to.

I want to lengthen the wire from the swith to the battery BUT the "stock" wire is 20 gauge and all I have is 22 gauge or 16 which I think is too large, so would using the 22 gauge in the middle of the 20 gauge cause any problems i.e voltage overload on the smaller wire?

eg) [switch]---(20)----(22) ----(20)---fuse---(20) ---battery

the numbers signaling the way it would be wired according to wire gauge.

Thanks

You might want to wait for other answers to add to this one, but I really don't think it will matter. LED's draw so little power that I think it will be fine.
    -2000 "750"

Comment

Thats what I was thinking as well. The amount of power required to light up an LED isn't even enough to light up a test light.
      Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
      www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

pffff wire as many as you want on even a 22 or 26 gauge wire a single 5mm led only pulls like .06 of a watt so you look at 200 leds to make 12 watts with is half what a turn signal bulbs is most of them are 23w and there only on 18 gauges
        I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

your fine with that. I have 96 LED's wired on my bike, on a 1 amp fuse, and its fine.

LED's use little power as Sin stated.
          It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquatch View Post
            LED's use little power as Sin stated.
            But the resistors do. So don't forget to factor that in.

Comment

This is true and if they are like my lights the resisters are pre wired into the lights.
              Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
              www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

ok...... and I do have 22 gauge wire if you go to your local electronics store you should be able to find wire smaller than 18 gauge.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X