X

New battery, 1st Charge

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New battery, 1st Charge

Just filled er up with acid and have it on the trickle charger now. Vent hole is unblocked. Should I leave the caps off to maximize venting or is the standard vent hole enough. Its been on since 7pm and ill prob leave it there all night and day and unplug it when I get home from work around 4. Ill go down in the basement and check the fluid levels after the first night of charging just to make sure no plates are exposed....

Sound reasonable?
    1993 Kat 600 - (Parts bike)
    1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

All I have ever done and had plenty of success with is, fill close holes, leave vent open, trickle charge for a day or 2. THen before I use it I just chk fluid lvl and that is all. No problems ever

Good LUck

Comment

Sounds like a plan. Just did my bat not too long ago, same thing. Be sure, again, to check levels after chargin, I had one cell go down to the low line.

Comment

So I was just thinking, technically I have a float charger not a trickle charger.
        Should I hit up Harbor Freight after work and get the trickle. The float I have has an output of 12.55 v @ 600mA. Is that enough?

I can pick this up today http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93781

What is the max I would want to charge this at? Prob around 1 amp im guessing, certainly not as high as 2 right?
        1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

Comment

Your float charger will work, it will just need longer maybe 2 days on charge. It puts out 1/2 amp. A trickle charger may put out up to 5 amps which is about max for initial charge of a small battery. Trouble with "cheap" chargers is some don't regulate voltage well. You want to stay under 13.5 for a slow charge or you risk boiling the battery.

Comment

Ok thanks for the help. I always though 5 A would be WAY too much for a cycle battery. Isn't the rule of thumb something like 10% - 15% of the AH rating for a trickle charge?

I may still go buy the other charger today anyhow. I LOVE TOYS.... and Harbor Freight!!

Comment

You should open the caps (why do you even have them?!?)
              Keep the battery in a well ventilated place (if not on the bike) away from open flame.

Charge at the lowest rate. 5amp is pretty high for a bike battery.

Comment

I got my battery from Walmart (like I do every year) and found out that it was charged after adding the acid. How did I find out? Sparked it while attaching it to the bike. That actually stung a bit since I was touching the metal is sparked to.
                Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder View Post
                  I got my battery from Walmart (like I do every year) and found out that it was charged after adding the acid. How did I find out? Sparked it while attaching it to the bike. That actually stung a bit since I was touching the metal is sparked to.
                  Yeah i bought an everstart batt from WAL MART for my all KAWI KZ550 and after i added the acid i dropped it in the bike and it was good...

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by brooder View Post
                    You buy new battery every year?? From Walmart...
                    I'm guessing here but it seem that if you spent money on a good battery you wouldn't have to get one every year. Even if you pay only $20 for the Walmart ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                      I'm guessing here but it seem that if you spent money on a good battery you wouldn't have to get one every year. Even if you pay only $20 for the Walmart ones.

Only because I don't take care of my battery. The last two years I left it in the bike all winter and didn't hook it to a trickle charger. Dead battery come spring.
                      -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                        Or maybe the Walmart battery was only partially charged when it was put into full time use. Would that cause the battery to have to be replaced every year?

Comment

Originally posted by wcj View Post
                          Or maybe the Walmart battery was only partially charged when it was put into full time use. Would that cause the battery to have to be replaced every year?
                          Well with the WAL MART batt i bought it wasn't $20 and it may have had partial charge and my bike stater or generator probably charged it the rest of the way, my bikes never sit parked, that WAL MART batt lasted until i sold the bike 2 years later...

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Yeah, my batteries from walmart are $50.

I think this year I'll invest in a (cheaper than a battery) tender.
                            Last edited by brooder; 04-02-2008, 11:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

when charging a battery you want to charge it at 1/10 the amp hour rating. suzuki suggests to charge it for 20 hours before use. but a few hours is usually enough depending on the battery.
                              your suzuki qualified tech

flinstone little block mod

Comment

Working...
                              X