Tach with new issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach with new issues

First new post in the new folder for me LOL

Anyhow, looking for some input. 93 750 beautiful day went out to spank my Kat. Rode it hard as usual. Rode about 35 - 40 miles one way mostly all highway and the bike was/is running great. Pulled strong at 110 plus in 5Th near red. On the way back from my cousins I took it a bit more relaxed. Was enjoying the ride. Happened to notice my tach at one point prior to a light on the highway looked a bit off. payed attention to it again on the way to the next light... then played with it all the rest of the freeway ride home.

Anyhow, when it hits about 7K to 8K during acceleration, it starts stuttering or going in reverse... drifting back from 8 to wards 7. The bikes running strong so I know the tachs actually misreading... I dropped from 5Th to 4Th on purpose on the highway to make the rpms jump. Seemed to be OK higher up. So i popped back to 5Th got on it to redline and popped 6Th to about 130 (clear roadway), no issues Motors pulling totally fine, just the tach seems to be having a turrets issue between 7-9K and just a minor flux near 10. But on thinking, I am wondering if my redlines actually being affected in some way. Bike is running great.

Sans a short, or a dirty connection, both of which I am going hunting for tomorrow. What could be a cause? CDI? Tachs not totally important to me since I generally go by the sound of the motor and feel in the seat as for when to shift, but it would be nice if there was a reference on the tach to synch to the speedo occasionally
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Since it keeps happening at about the same range I'm going to guess two things.

The tach has an issue and when it gets into that band it has a bad spot. I'm not sure how these things work. I don't know if they are motors or coils.

Second idea is that in that RPM range your vibrating a connection loose and it goes screwy..

Any new information?

Comment

Nothing as of yet, Haven't had time to play since I am now working an overnight and a day job. 3 more days till I leave Hess and get back into the hardware business via Lowe's.

I did get to trace back the connectors and hit them all with my dremmel, Yes I pinched the connector's closed after the wire brushing. I might have a break tomorrow to see what changed. I do get a vibe (buzz) in the handlebar, but its usually around 5k.

Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Ok, Finally got a decent day and a day off at the same time to go play. Took apart the connectors for the tach, recleaned them, filled them agian with dielectric silicone and made sure they were tight. Took it for a blast up 95 from Warwick to Providence. Still does the same thing in the same range.

So now I dont know what gives. For all I know LOL, Its probably been this way since I bought the bike a year and a half ago. But now that I notice it I keep looking at it. I spanked the kitty pretty hard and it didnt faulter in any way other then the guage.

Anyone know how the pre tach guage works internally?

Any thoughts?

Comment

I don't know what is inside those guys.
          I haven't looked on the interweb but I assume it is some sort of "motor".

95 from Providence to Warwick?!? Isn't that the most boring stretch? After the Thurber's ave curve that is..

You should take the ride around the Scituate Reservoir..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
            I don't know what is inside those guys.
            I haven't looked on the interweb but I assume it is some sort of "motor".

95 from Providence to Warwick?!? Isn't that the most boring stretch? After the Thurber's ave curve that is..

You should take the ride around the Scituate Reservoir..
            Yeah, but I was looking for a place to break 110+ mph and thats a nice straight shot to play. Heck, you know the trolls... err pooper troopers really cant set up in too many spots going northbound. As for the Resivoir, Been there done that lots of times. I'd rather play on the Mohawk Trail in western Mass with the real switchback. I'm off from work for the rest of this week, till Saturday so I am gonna play for a few and mess with it on the rainy ones. See if I can figure out why its got issues.

Comment

Working...
            X