X

Problems with Gauge lighting...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Gauge lighting...

I installed a set of Indiglo gauges last summer, and they have been giving me some trouble lately. They seem to randomy shut off while i am riding. Sometimes they flicker like there is a loose connection then shut off, and other times they just turn off. I assumed it was just a wiring problem, but then i realized that all i had to do to turn them back on was to turn the bike off and back on again via the key,or just hit the starter button.

So what do you guys think would be causing this problem. I hooked the wiring from the gauges up to the third eye wiring. Thanks in Advance.
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Take it off the third eye. There is a how to and down the way, someone suggest using the unused plug on the left (or right, I don't remember) side of the bike.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

Do you think it is the third eye? Why would it randomly flicker and shut off?

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
        Ok, just an FYI for anyone doing this mod.

I hooked up the power for the gauges to the harness for the 3rd eye...BAD IDEA.

That Power loop is on the same loop and the turn signals, so if your signals are on, the lights on the dash will dim then get brighter in unison with your turn signals.

Better Idea:

Use the plug on the right side frame tube that isn't being used for anything. The Orange wire is switched power and the black with white tracer is your ground.
        I'm betting there is too much load on that circuit. Does the third eye shut off as well when the gauges go?
        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
        -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
        -Terence

Comment

I'm not sure. I never checked it b/c i am always riding when it happens. Next time it happens i'll pull over and check it out. It's weird b.c it doesn't always happen. It's quite random.

Comment

It could be a bad connection. Changes in the load could improve the connection.

That's why the starter button "fixes" it.
            I'd look at the how to Brooder mentioned. The reason for using the unused plug might be mentioned.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. I'll have to look at it when i take my bike apart next.

Comment

Working...
              X