Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Perhaps The Differences In ECM's Are Small?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps The Differences In ECM's Are Small?

So, I bought a 01 Suzuki Bandit 1200. Was laid down, went under a semi, and the hit broke the ECM in to three pieces. Rider survived, btw, with some pretty serious injuries, some impressive scars on his lower back, and no memory of the 45 minutes before, or 5 days after, the accident, even now, 1 year hence. When I got the bike home, I decided to try out a ECM I have that is labeled "88 kat 600." Plugged right up. Case is a bit different in the way it is secured to the bike. After jumping the battery (easy to do, I can easily jump much higher...) the bike started right up, and ran as well as, or better than, I would have expected it to do after more than a year of sitting. My observations and thoughts:

A 88 Kat 600 and a 01 Bandit 1200 are as different as these motors every got. Displacement, torque, red line, emissions controls, etc. The B12 even has a TPS, something the 88 Kat never thought of having.

If you didn't mind the motor abuse, or were vigilant about observing redline, you might be happy with the 600's ECM on the 1200 motor, as you would never have the rev limiter wag it's finger at you. I have not tested this, as the Bandit 12 has a broken clutch lever and I have not ridden it yet.

If you have a ECM that you want to test, you could just plug it up on any well-starting Bandit or Katana and see if the bike still starts.

Thoughts?
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
    After jumping the battery (easy to do, I can easily jump much higher...)

Awesome.. Did you post this just to use that joke?

I figure you have the guts to try it, transplants like this will work.
    I would say do your normal tune up diagnostics. New plugs, run them in and check the burn. See how it runs in various temps etc..

But it sounds like a winner. What is the redline difference?
    Also what can we figure about the differences in the spark curve on the two bikes?

Comment

Thanks. Don't forget to tip your waitress, I'll be here all week.

According to bikez.com (not my favorite site, too many ads) a Bandit 1200 makes max power at 8500 rpm, whereas the Katana maxes out at 11,000 rpm. Wow, big difference. Might not have tried it but I figured, most of the other electronics (speedo, tach) were disconnected, so what the heck? Then I forgot about that later and hooked up the speedo/tach. Still worked fine, altho I just realized I didn't check tach accuracy.
      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

B12 redlines a bit above 9k , IIRC .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
        X