X

Damn it dad. screwed up ignition wires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn it dad. screwed up ignition wires

So I had to get my bike in running condition so I could show it to someone tomorrow. I had taken off the tank and was planning on changing the plugs but I had work all day, so I asked my dad to do it...big mistake. He ripped all four ignition wires out of the boots. On top of that he didn't even realize anything was wrong. When I got home and saw what happened I almost cried. This was my first bike and i'm strapped for cash as it is now and I can't afford any new parts after everything I've already done. I plugged all the ignition wires back into the boots and test drove it and it ran just fine. Anyone know if I should just tape those wires back to the boot or if I should go out and get new wires, or just leave it how it is. Let me know, thanks.
    1991 Katana 750

Being new to motorcycles blows, but at least i'm learning.

i don't know about the new kats, but i know on the older ones, the wires are little extra long. All i did was cut the wire back to a good part(about half inch) and then the boot has a screw on it that screws in the wire, good to go. So rest assured you probably are fine.

Oh and if you are strapped for cash, IF you did have to buy new wires, i think you have to buy them with the coils, runs about $70 bucks each. If it does come down to that, NGK does make slitters.

just curious, that is an aweful new bike to already be changing the plugs
    Last edited by BarMatt80; 12-01-2007, 07:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

I dont know why it says 06. Its acutally a 91 that still runs like a dream. Tryin to sell it now so I might be able to upgrade to perhaps a 04-07 1000rr.
      1991 Katana 750

Being new to motorcycles blows, but at least i'm learning.

Comment

i read your older posts and wondered, that '06 should be in your signature and only shows up in about half of your older posts. very weird. well cut the wires as i said as that is what i did on my pre98.

as that being your first bike, i know you probably hear it quite abit, but going from either a kat 600 or 750 pre or post 98 jumping to a liter supersport is one HELL of a jump. stair at your headlight real close, then turn it off and on, yeah that big of a difference. congrats if you get a new bike, use it with respect.

let us know if that solves yoru problem.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Yeah , just cut maybe 1/4" off the ends of the wires , and twist them back on . The boot has a little threaded spike on it , so make sure you twist as you push . Unless he pulled the wires out of the COILS ,in which case that's gonna suck .....
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

As long as you do not notice a difference, you are probably fine. Mine got pulled out and was able to put them back in. After f@#$%^& around with them, taking them off a few times cking valves, noticed loss of power. Thoght I screwed up the valves until I replaced coils then Wala! power came back.
            "Do not look to deeply into anything I say, I'm a very shallow person."

Comment

Originally posted by shawnk View Post
              This was my first bike and i'm strapped for cash as it is now and I can't afford any new parts after everything I've already done. .
              The 'strapped for cash' doesn't quite cut it if your getting a much newer 1000.
              Just keeping tyres and brakes on one for 6 months would probably run a Kat for 2 yrs or more
              PJ
              I'm not a complete idiot, but I'm working on it.
              There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't

Comment

Working...
              X