X

Neutral light always on??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neutral light always on??

My neutral light is always on, no matter what gear I'm in. Is that a simple sensor problem or something more in depth? Anyone know a cheap solution?

yeah you need a new neutral light indicator, I have one, I'll PM you a pic.

Comment

Did you check to see if the wire is broken?
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

what wire? I haven't really dug in there b/c I don't really know what I'm looking for. Any idea how to change out the sensor? I can prob. figure it out if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys

Comment

ohh arsenic do you have one to sell, or just to show me what it looks like?

Comment

Well the wire goes down into the sprocket cover... and the sensor is underneath... near the chain. I *think* if the wire is severed or disconnected... the green N light is always on.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

yeah, it's real easy to do. There are two screws holding it on, take those two screws off and there's 1 connector, undo the connector and you can switch it. It's under the front sprocket cover.

Comment

net light

hello my light dont come on what is that? need help

Comment

that could be a bulb burnt out

Comment

nab015.....the wiring to the neutral switch is in behind the front(countershaft) sprocket cvr. A few allenhead type screws are holding it on the crankcase, easy to remove. Just below the notch in the cvr (that the wiring goes through) you may find that the wire(s) have been pressed into another bolt head hard enough to pierce the insulation.

This will possibly ground one or more of the wires inside the sheathing, allowing a partial or complete connection/short type flaw. On my '98 750 this caused the neutral light to remain lit all the time, although it did get just barely brighter when neutral was actually selected. So far as I can tell it was assembled this way at the factory & with the design of the cvr (notch should've been placed differently) it's not surprising this happened. Once you get it apart you'll see what I mean. I ground down & smoothed the offending bolt head with a dremel to fix mine. No way of moving the wiring aside so it wouldn't be pushed into the bolt under the offending "notch". Re-wrapping & insulating the damaged wiring may be required. It solved my neutral light promlem. Don't grind too much off the bolt head, you might need to turn it someday.

Comment

Working...
                    X