X

Uni air filter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uni air filter?

Hey guys, I made the "mistake" to get a Uni air filter this winter while getting my tune-up parts.

I didn't realized it was a "factory replacement" filter rather than an OEM.

In any case it looks pretty descent but I'm sure it will flow more than the stock filter.

In any case I have a 2000 600 Kat that I have to bring in for the 15000mi tune up. (bike actually has a little bit more but well...). It already has Yoshi pipes on and might have gotten rejetted (I'm not sure but I know I can hit about 140-150mi on a full tank highway at around 80mi/hour which seems a bit less than what stock is rated at... no idea about the jet size).

In any case will I need to purchase one of those expensive jetkits or can the carbs just be rejetted for much less (changing the main maybe, I have no idea how much jets cost considering how much jet kits are...).

Oh and are there any special procedures to rejet or you still rely on the color of the plugs? That's how I used to do it back in the days on dirt bikes. I'm not gonna do it myself so I'm wondering how effectively a bike shop will be able to do it and how much they might charge me for that!

Anyways, I have those things to check:
    Fuel hoses and fuel system
    Throttle cable/choke cable
    Clutch/clutch cable (needs tension)
    Brake pads/lines
    Steering head bearing
    Suspension
    Valve clearance (needs adjustment)
    Carb sync

New K&N oil filter.
    New NGK CR9EK (4548) plugs
    Uni filter
    16x43 JT sprockets and new chain
    New lube everywhere (but maybe the fork that still seems solid).

Am I missing something? I recently moved and don't know much about the shops around here so I'm a bit afraid since there is quite a bit of work to be done!

I also don't wanna spend all that much to "upgrade" since I probably won't be keeping the bike for all that much longer.

Thanks for the input,
    Sam

You should be fine with the Uni filter, That is what is in mine and I have had no problems with it yet.

I have the Ivan jet kit in my 2000 750 and still get about 170 miles before I have to switch to res on mine.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

wow... 170mi! Even doing highway only I have to switch to res at around 130mi.
      Not sure what the hell is going on. I'm wondering if the previous owner might have rejetted and the carbs may be a bit off (actually way off).
      The bike runs perfect besides that. Strong and I haven't had a problem since I bought it almost a couple of years ago (it had 7k mi back then, has almost 17k now).

Comment

bump

Comment

I don't have much to offer other than my 01' 600 will go to 170 as well before I need to switch to reserve. I'm all stock though.
          -Stephen

the future's uncertain, and the end is always near - The Doors

Comment

I'm guessing a slip-on by itself wouldn't affect the mileage by that much either. Nor do I ride the bike like a maniac. I'm between 7 and 8k RPM on the highway. Riding around town (before getting to the highway) I usually don't hit the throtlly too hard (I don't even think I go over 8 or 9k but usually more around 3 or 4k).

Any thoughts?

Comment

You have not had new plugs installed yet, correct? That could be it.
              -Stephen

the future's uncertain, and the end is always near - The Doors

Comment

no the list that i have above is what i am planning on doing. none of the stuff is on it yet (neither the sprockets, i was also wondering if those would be ok).

Comment

bump again...

I was hoping more people would know about the Uni filters.

Sam

Comment

Sam

what's up old roomie? sounds like you have some problems, I feel the pain. went to ride yesterday and had a dead bike. Have to do some major troubleshooting this week. Not to happy. Give me a shout offline when you can. lets talk shop.
                    RichC4
                    2000 Katana 600
                    Quote from my buddy who bought a 2005 Ducati after riding my Kat "I don't get it, why is your bike more fun"

Comment

Working...
                    X