X

93 gsx 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[/IMG]

Ti me it looks like the frame has been welded to the original swing arm. I gotta get so u bolts to go through the pivoys and around the axle
    Last edited by maughanorama; 08-23-2017, 05:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Whoa.... thats pretty scary looking, and pretty innovative.... couple of questions, have you looked up and found the kit? It looks like a kit someone bought, it also looks like a trailer axel welded to the original rear swingarm. If it was me and i was dead set on keeping it, i would take it off the bike and sandblast the paint off so i could check the welds and change the bearings and grease. The swingarm bushings and bearings are probably bad too and this would be the time to replace them as well. How does the axel slide over the original rear end? It looks welded to it from the pics.... i cant tell how you would tighten it... either way, on the bile it looks rusty and scary, i would wanna put hands on it if it were mine. The good thing is you need to do this for the fix anyways, its just good used bike practice to replace those bearings on any bike.

I still think its awesome! Its worth the wrench time to make it right. Id get a welder to look over the welds though. Someone with an eye for it.
      Last edited by Mrontime; 08-23-2017, 06:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      We may not always win the game, but we never lose the party.

Comment

Yer the rust is only surface. I have a mig welder coming this week so i can go over the welds what bushes and bearing ? The swing arm? The way to adjust the axle is the plates that have 2 bolts. Them plates are welded to the axle. Them bolts im going to change to u bolts over the axle ad added security.. i need to take the chain off and inspect it as well. i and going to re weld them plates as well as adding u bolts. As soon as i can get a road legal ticket (mot) ill clean up the frame and repaint. But id rather grt the stamp first because it may fail on somthing that id have to repaint anyways.
        Last edited by maughanorama; 08-23-2017, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Surface rust can be cleaned off with a wire brush. Thats just rust, anything pitted to that extent. What bolts push the reat back though? You dont just pull it tight by hand and screw it down, there needes to be an incremental way to move the rear forward and back exactly on each side. Is the axel solid or two part? The more i look at it and think of how it works the more i see space for unbalance. This wasnt a kit....

Also and please dont take offense, but its not an ebay mig is it? If your not a welder and its not a decent machine you can make things worse not better. It takes alot of knowledge about metal, stress, and math to make a frame square. Not just that but you can affect the integrity of the metal as well by how and where you weld. With a vehicle that your gonna be doing 70 mph on when your in a turn you will think about these things.

So the entire axel is held on by the plates? With 4 bolts only? Thats insane. Dude. This thing is scary. Its glommed onto the original rear end. You got brass if your really gonna ride this. I wouldnt ride it and i feature myself as pretty adventurous.

There are gonna be bearings in yhe swingarm and also in the axel... . Always
          Last edited by Mrontime; 08-23-2017, 08:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

not ebay. bolts and welded on plates. Thats why i wanna put U bolts over the axle through the plates. There is an adjuster in the original adjust place on the swing arm.

Comment

what do you guys think ? U straps or U Bolts to hold the axle down as well as the welds ? both are high tensile stainless or Galvanised..?

before anyone says it dangerous , how come some cars rear axle is held on by U bolts ?

Comment

Its not the u bolts that are dangerous. And yes the u bolts would be the way to go. I wasnt trying to put a damper on your project. I apologize if it came across that way. Does the axel go thru the original swingarm adjusters?

The reason its dangerous, as a fabricator this is what i see. The axel is welded on top of the frame. Any time all the weight and your life ride on something, they need to ride on top. The axel should be under the frame is my foremost worry in your project.

Also. Jack the rear off the ground. Where yoi can spin the wheels. Hammer a nail in a board where it still sticks out but wont move. Place the nail near the wheel and spin it to see if the wheel and axel are true. You will be able to see with your eyes if they are. In a car the u bolts only hold the axel in place, the car holds it down. Your talking about holding 700+ pounds up with 2 u bolts or 6 regular bolts. Thats scary anyway you cut it buddy.
                Last edited by Mrontime; 08-25-2017, 07:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I hear ya.. i did think about cutting the plates off and welding em back the under the frame....i may have to get someone else to weld that on as my welding is lets just say novice..

On a plus note i had my a/f mixture screws soaking in pen fluid for a few days and now all 4 are free woohoo.. also sorted a fuel leak out on the pet. i had a look at the chain and to be faeir it looks like i need to change it i mean some of the links look like they are stiff. Chain and sprocket set coming... they only things left are rear brakes, i need to change the wheel cylinders they are only single sided..wierd. change front wheel bearing in hope of removing the wobble at low speed then fix exhaust blows (more welding) get an mot.

All the electrics are ok..
                  ON a side note does anyone know of a way to get the gear box to send a signal on each gear change? Or is this just not possible with this age bike?

Ta
                  Last edited by maughanorama; 08-27-2017, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/201899926953

Comment

Yer i see them. Basically i wanna get a digital dash and the only thing i couldnt figure out was how the gear selector is wired. The dash has 6 wires for the gear selector. One for each gear. Problem is i couldnt figure out how to get the signal from the gears to the 6 wires

Comment

There isnt a single thing basic about anything you want to do lol.

Comment

Originally posted by maughanorama View Post
                          Yer i see them. Basically i wanna get a digital dash and the only thing i couldnt figure out was how the gear selector is wired. The dash has 6 wires for the gear selector. One for each gear. Problem is i couldnt figure out how to get the signal from the gears to the 6 wires
                          You'll need a gear position sensor. I believe they use the GS sensor.
                          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran
                          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

So what have you found out?

Comment

At present i have found out that the header bolts are crazy difficult to get out without heat and even harder when 1 of the 8 has no head... :/
                              Im getting my friends mig today to weld a nut on it.

Other than that have not touched the trike for a few days.

Im getting the digi dash once i get the mot (road legal) .
                              At the moment i have the exhaust to put back on and then carb tuning. I turned the af screws out 1.5 times but last time i had it running it was running like shit and tube 4 was cooler than the rest. Ill sync them then play with af prolly goto 1.75 turns out first.. the jets are 110 standard

Comment

I tried the mig bolt trick on mine, it doesnt work, just twists off, drill and tap bro

Comment

Working...
                                X