X

Help - Open engine neglected bike :|

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
    Images hosted on imgur.com. Working for me as intended.

Krey
    My work computer was playing up, works fine on a different one. Looks good!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Seft View Post
      My work computer was playing up, works fine on a different one. Looks good!!
      Imgur unfortunately may be deemed as a "social" site and blocked by some companies as it was originally designed to be the hosting site for Reddit. It's the best pic hosting site out there though in most other regards, so it's what I'll be switching all pic hosting to going forward.

I have alot of broken pics (and some permanently lost... /sigh) as the original host I was using was a paid service, and the download when that was canceled didn't complete. The person who did the download didn't actually verify all pics were downloaded. Lesson learned.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

• Properly destroyed the metal springy bit in the petcock when putting it back together, think I seated the white bit the wrong way around and twisted it up. Really isn't keen on bending back or coming out and can't get a new spring so new tap it is. Meh

Tip for the day, don't rush stuff!

Comment

• For anyone vaguely interested in my progress, the new fuel tap/petcock turned up and is fitted. Now the entire bike is back together and I'll be booking it in for an MOT tomorrow. Just hoping it behaves properly when riding as testing it on a driveway with reving it a bit near a fan and trundling into the garage in first isn't exactly a great test...

Surely it's my turn for some good fortune, it'd be nice that for the next 6 months the only money I spend on it is for fuel, that's not much to ask is it?

Comment

For anyone vaguely interested in my progress, the new fuel tap/petcock turned up and is fitted. Now the entire bike is back together and I'll be booking it in for an MOT tomorrow. Just hoping it behaves properly when riding as testing it on a driveway with reving it a bit near a fan and trundling into the garage in first isn't exactly a great test...

Surely it's my turn for some good fortune, it'd be nice that for the next 6 months the only money I spend on it is for fuel, that's not much to ask is it?
            Good luck!
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

• Happy to say it sailed through the MOT, took her out on some road to test out at higher revs too and runs like a dream Upon my return home found one of my boots had a couple of spots of brake fluid on and have a slight leak round one of the pistons, as I'd bled the brakes only a few days ago they're still pretty hard so very little air can have gotten in and the level's barely dropped. I'd tried to salvage these pistons in the past when they were a little corroded but were clearly too pitted to stay sealed so replacements are on the way, at least this is something I'm familiar with fixing

Comment

Happy to say it sailed through the MOT, took her out on some road to test out at higher revs too and runs like a dream Upon my return home found one of my boots had a couple of spots of brake fluid on and have a slight leak round one of the pistons, as I'd bled the brakes only a few days ago they're still pretty hard so very little air can have gotten in and the level's barely dropped. I'd tried to salvage these pistons in the past when they were a little corroded but were clearly too pitted to stay sealed so replacements are on the way, at least this is something I'm familiar with fixing
                Awesome! It's good to see a thread follow through to the end with good results.

How bout some pics of the finished product. :P

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

• Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Awesome! It's good to see a thread follow through to the end with good results.

How bout some pics of the finished product. :P

Krey
                  Ok ok, I'll sign up for some image site or other (think you recommend one in this thread) and put some pics up 🙂 New brake pistons should arrive tomorrow too if the post system behaves!

Comment

• Congrats!
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• Pah, spoke too soon, read "slight leak" as shambolic mess of a caliper covered in what looks to be emulsified brake fluid, that or someone's been smearing mayonaise on my callipers! One fluid and one dust seal had been pushed out by a build up of corrosion in the bore for the dust seal whereas the fluid seal looked like it had partly pulled out when I'd initially seated the piston. Assuming main reason for this was a distinctly mean portion of red rubber grease which if I'm to believe what I read on the internet I should have used a lot more over, well, pretty much anything. I guess at least I did a good job of the read and right front calliper so it's not all bad.

Anyway, new bits turn up tomorrow so can get it all rebuilt any then, hopefully actually for real, I can be allowed more than 30 minutes of ride time before something else goes wrong

Comment

• Ok, calliper rebuilt and nicely sealed, onto the next problem that's emerged, there was a drip of oil at the bottom of what I think is the clutch cover, bit that sticks out on the left of the bike. What's got me way more confused is how my oil level has risen, was at F when I refilled it and replaced the the oil and filter and it's now up to the top of the window, would love an explanation if anyone has one!?

Comment

• Taken oil cap off, smells like fuel in the oil, does this mean the piston rings are worn or that I didn't do a good enough job of carb cleaning? 😐

Comment

Taken oil cap off, smells like fuel in the oil, does this mean the piston rings are worn or that I didn't do a good enough job of carb cleaning? 😐
                            Have you left the petcock on prime?
                            The carb needles sometimes leak and let gas run into the crankcase past the pistons. Has nothing to do with worn piston rings.
                            1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
                            V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
                            Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

• No, it was on 'ON' I did pull over and switched to 'RES' as I was running low on fuel but didn't go near prime.

Edit: Should mention, it's a brand new stock petcock, tested it before installation so unlikely to be broken
                              Last edited by Seft; 07-04-2017, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Taken oil cap off, smells like fuel in the oil, does this mean the piston rings are worn or that I didn't do a good enough job of carb cleaning? 😐
                                Float needles are not sealing. Needle seats are dirty/scored, float height is incorrect, needles are warn or float(s) are hanging up. It should not matter if you are on prime, res or run unless your carbs aren't functioning properly. It is a good safety measure not to leave the petcock in prime as bypassed fuel will make it into the oil.
                                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                                spammer police
                                USAF veteran
                                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                                X