Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Broken sprocket cover...possible more damage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken sprocket cover...possible more damage?

So I was an idiot and and while I was letting my 02 katana 600 warm up I bumped the shifter into 1st while I was straddling the bike. It lurched forward about a foot or two and died. It started right bike up and seemed to shift and ride fine on the way home. I did notice a slight noise, sounded like a metal on metal cling noise every few seconds. The noise didnt happen at regular intervals, sometimes it would be every 3 seconds, then 5 seconds, then maybe 4 seconds in-between the cling.

I got home and did some investigating and noticed that the sprocket cover was cracked in the upper right hand side. I pulled it off to inspect for further damage and don't think I could find any.

Ive rolled the bike forward and backwards in neutral and not been able to replicate the noise. When I pulled the cover off there were two rubber grommets sitting in the bottom of it. Ive heard about possible damage to the output shaft happening, the sprocket seems tight as does the shaft the shifter attaches to. The only play I can find is the thin rod that is located at 9 oclock to the front sprocket. It has play in all directions, except for inwards unless I pull it out a bit, that play is correct?

Ive attached some pics, I hope this was explained in a manner that all you gurus can understand from my laymen descriptions.

[IMG][/IMG]

That looks like the clutch pin (that rod you spoke of) seal but, it looks intact. You need sprockets and a chain. Looks like something is leaking. The oil isn't from your dry chain. How does a slip shift cause a broken cover? Is your chain tension correct?
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I just got the bike about 2 weeks ago, and have been slowly finding out her quirks, this however was a bit more of an oh shit moment. Im fairly confident that the cracked cover wasnt there when I got it, as I gave the bike a good look over before handing over the money. I just found it odd that the noise wasnt there until the clutch dump. Could that surge have cause the chain to stretch that little extra bit causing the noise Im hearing and feeling in the left footpeg? I was already planning on a new chain and sprockets since I felt they were pretty worn and wavy.

As to the two seals for the clutch pin, does one go on the bike side and the other on the sprocket cover side?

Im going to clean up the area with some simple green (any better recommendations?) and hopefully I dont find any cracked housings. Any area in particular I should look for the leak? Could it be 20k+ miles of gunk and buildup?

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      That looks like the clutch pin (that rod you spoke of) seal but, it looks intact. You need sprockets and a chain. Looks like something is leaking. The oil isn't from your dry chain. How does a slip shift cause a broken cover? Is your chain tension correct?
      Also, is there a parts vender here on the forum that would sell the sprocket cover and a chain/sprocket set?

Last but not least, Ive heard that one the OEM suzuki front sprockets have the dampeners that ensure a quiet operation, is that true? Will a non oem one be loud? My bike have a 4 to 1 header and a leo vince exhaust and its pretty loud already.
      Last edited by japanada; 06-27-2016, 05:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Not sure if those seals were were just left in there, you would have a good leave without them. Did you find the broken piece of the cover. Have you checked for the wear point (noise)?
        No, but someone may have a cover laying around. If not EBay. Do not buy Volar chains, they could get you hurt. RK, EK or DID O-ring or X-ring chains. Vortex sprockets are good.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Not sure if those seals were were just left in there, you would have a good leave without them. Did you find the broken piece of the cover. Have you checked for the wear point (noise)?
          No, but someone may have a cover laying around. If not EBay. Do not buy Volar chains, they could get you hurt. RK, EK or DID O-ring or X-ring chains. Vortex sprockets are good.

Thanks! Before I took the cover off, I was rolling the bike around and could hear the noise I hear before, with the cover off and the sprocket exposed like it is now, I am hearing nothing. The cover was not cracked all the way through, there was a tiny little area that was still attached, but that quickly snapped off upon loosening the bolts.

Ive already found some DID X-ring and Vortex sprocket combo on ebay. $200 is about the going rate, pretty decent?

I am a little confused about the two rubber pieces Im holding in my hand tho, are you saying to leave them out? Did they not belong in there in the first place?

Comment

I'm saying that, it is possible that those were left in the bottom of the cover. If you were missing seals, oil would be leaking quite well.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

I'm saying that, it is possible that those were left in the bottom of the cover. If you were missing seals, oil would be leaking quite well.
              Gotcha, Ill do some more poking around tomorrow. Oil level seems to be the same as when I got it about 400 miles ago.

Comment

I am thinking part #21 and #26 that mount oinside the sprocket cover.

This is for a pre 98, but will give you the Idea of what the insude cover of the will look like for the clutch pin.
                Last edited by ZukiFred; 06-28-2016, 06:45 AM.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by japanada View Post
                  Ive already found some DID X-ring and Vortex sprocket combo on ebay. $200 is about the going rate, pretty decent?
                  Yes. I just replaced mine and it was nearly 200 for a nice X-ring chain and steel sprockets.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat Floyd View Post
                    Yes. I just replaced mine and it was nearly 200 for a nice X-ring chain and steel sprockets.
                    Last time I did mine I paid a little over that actually. 220 I think. But definitely don't cheap out on those. good quality chain can last 40,000 miles when taken care of. Cheap chains can crap out at 2000. (no, seriously)
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
                      I am thinking part #21 and #26 that mount oinside the sprocket cover.

This is for a pre 98, but will give you the Idea of what the insude cover of the will look like for the clutch pin.
                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GSX75...pXYtHo&vxp=mtr
                      Thanks a bunch! After some more poking around, you are correct!

I found a sprocket cover for a 01 bandit 600 at a local junk yard. Am I correct in the thought that it is one of the many interchangeable parts between kats and bandits?

Comment

The PO of my bike put real crappy aluminum sprockets with a sad little chain (520) on the bike. Im guessing he paid about 75-100 for it all and it scared the hell out of me.

Comment

So my last question is, whats the deal with the OEM front sprocket having the rubber spacers on them to keep them more quiet? How much louder are the non oem ones? Is there a large price difference between them?

Comment

No different that I can tell.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

I cant tell. A chain drive is going to a bit louder anyways.
                              Cant hear it over my Yoshi can!

Comment

Working...
                              X