X

Idles extremely high.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idles extremely high.

So I recently rode my bike (89 750) and experienced moments of great running and ones of major hesitation and dying. The bike drained major amounts of gas all over the ground when parked. I started disassembly of the bike to get to the carbs and noticed my airbox was full of gas. Took the carbs off the bike, opened the float bowls, had one sticky needle valve, cleaned it and put it back in. I replaced the o-rings while it was apart also. Got the bike back together, yesterday, now it fires up right away and brings itself to idle at 6,000 rpm or higher. I've checked the throttle cable, choke cable, and linkage to make sure it isn't hanging up anywhere, I have also made sure the idle adjustment is backed out. Now I am concerned that I may have fuel in the oil and don't want to tear anything up. Any suggestions? What should I check on first?

Yeah, you didn't change the oil? It does have fuel in it. As a rule 3000 rpm and below is a vac leak. Anything higher is a linkage issue.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I was just wondering if I maybe need to pull the carbs again and check for anything. Or do you think it is external?

I just got done with it last night, didn't even think about the oil issue until after I fired it up. I know, I really should have done that first but sometimes I am a little too impatient for my own good.
      Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 06-17-2016, 11:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

6000 rpm, check the boot clamp on carb three. Many people install the clamp at an angle and catch the linkage. Personally once carb issues pop up, I just clean and replace the needles to prevent continual problems.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Ok, I'll go check that out

It appears that you were correct, but on mine it was the clamp for cab 2. Thanks junker.
          Last edited by CLYNT BEASTWOOD; 06-17-2016, 12:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
          X