X

Major loss of power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major loss of power

Since I bought the bike about 2 months ago it's had a rough idle wouldn't run wit the choke off and if I did take it off would have to turn the idle up til the bike warmed up even then it wouldn't idle under 2500rpm anything lower would just die out. Supposedly has the dybojet kit on it and he had k&n pod filters on it. Couple people told me try putting the stock box back on and see if that helps. So I did that last night and finally once warmed up a little it'll idle around 1000-1500 without dying.however today I noticed on the way home from work which is a very short drive that I have no power on higher rpms. Just recently checked the carbs they are clean and just put new plugs in. Any ideas of how to solve this riddle so I can idle normal and have power at the same time?

You need to go back to stock sized main jets, and change the needles or adjust their height to make it run with the stock airbox.
    1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
    V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
    Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

What's the options if I throw the pods back on? What wpull solve that idle issue?

Comment

Not likely. Pods run way lean on katanas. If you are back to a stock set up and can't idle without choke on, it's a sign the pilot circut in the carbs are dirty.

If you now have low power at rpms, that makes me want to guess it's running rich, and the main jet size is too high, but that would only be the case if everything else with the bike is as it is supposed to be.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

This ^^^^^^^^^.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I believe it is running rich judging by how the plugs looked but I could be wrong it ran fine with the pods just didn't idle right and like I said has a dyno jet kit on it. Still stock exhaust could that be a major part of the problem?

And what about adjusting the pilot screw "air/fuel mixture" on the carbs? Even though I've searched and still have no idea where they are
            Last edited by Keef2299; 06-16-2016, 12:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Could be if it were a running issue, no idle=dirty carb, pilot circuit to be exact.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Gotcha appreciate it I'll tear them apart sometime this weekend and post results

Comment

search for "carbs 101" for 97 and earlier and "carbs 102"for later models.
                  never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                  X