X

I'm lost

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm lost

Okay so I would have searched everything that was wrong but that would have taken way to long and maybe its just one thing I don't know. This is my first bike and my first time on a forum.
    Alright details, i have a 2000 600f Katana it idles super high most of the time but then i adjust the idler value on the carb and it goes down after a ton of turns but then after it shuts off or it stalls or anything of the sort it goes right back up to around 5k RPM its hit 7 before i killed it. Also when I get it around the correct RPMS after messing with it the throttle isn't very responsive until the RPMS get high then it acts like it should. After it finally does respond in the low RPMS the return to normal takes a very long time. I bought it from someone and they said they knew a bunch about it but after owning the bike for a couple of days it seems like they didn't. Also they said they rebuilt the carbs but I called the place and all they did was replace the needles and o-rings. They didn't even clean them out. I have a friend that says it sounds like its getting to much gas as if the choke was on when its not. If i ride it for a slightly extended period of time it smells like gas and its almost overpowering. I think thats it haha.

THANKS in advance for reading all that
    Last edited by DirtbagKat; 04-20-2016, 07:32 PM.

Well... i'm not the expert around here but, I would check the carbs, make sure the throtle cable is properly installed, and check the fuel petcock.
    GSX 600f '88
    ------------
    Custom "Ricardo Amado" OEM Style Led Gauges | Gear Display OEM Style Mod | GSX400f Gas/Oil Temp OEM Style Mod | '94 BST33ST Carbs | '96 GSX750f Swingarm Mod | '01 GSX600f Wheels Swap Mod | R6 Competition Rear Suspension Mod | 15/49 Sprockets 525 Chain Conversion | Dyna Beads | '89 GSXR750 Cams

Comment

Pilot jets aren't clean. There is a blockage somewhere in the circuit and it's not allowing the pilot circuit to function. Hopefully it's just gummed up jets. For future reference, never listen to your friends. Nothing good ever comes of it. To be fair though, this time your friend did give some solid, plausible advice.

Comment

In addition to cleaning the carbs, a sync is needed. I'd also check for any vacuum leaks around the carbs that may also be causing issues.

If you clean, sync, and verify no vacuum leaks, but still has running issues, I would check to make sure you have good plugs/plug caps and wires with no arc issues.

Parts of this testing process should include checking the temps on the down pipes. A lazer temp tester is cheap and makes that real easy to do. Knowing which pipes are getting hotter/colder can help to further narrow down issues and it's a good tool to have on hand.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
        X