X

Timing Issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Issues

Started tearing into my 04 Kat 750 today. The bike was stolen and returned. Wiring was pretty roached! But all essentials for a start up are in place. Threw the battery to it and it turns over fine. But it backfires terribly, noticed that the airbox was full of fog. So its backfiring thru the carbs too. Is there anything that would cause this besides a timing issue?

I've checked the firing order. I know its 1,2,4,3. And seeing how the left coil has 1 and 4 marked on the wires. That makes that idiot proof. 2 and 3 might be in question. But seeing that one lead is longer than the other. That pretty much rules out misplaced plug wires.
    Last edited by Volksboy69; 04-03-2016, 11:03 AM.

If you have it back firing, check the plug sequence ( left coil 1&4, right coil 2&3) if all is good, it's time to check the valves/ timing. Pull the valve cover and have a peak. Or do a compression test. Being that it was stolen, it may have been ridden that way and broke a valve spring and or bent a valve but, a compression test will show that. If it's just popping through the exhaust, it's a lean condition, carb related.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Ill get right on it! Thanks. Any idea on what kind of compression this thing should be running?

I gave away my manual to a kat friend. Thinking i wouldn't need it anymore. Stupid me
      Last edited by Volksboy69; 04-03-2016, 11:28 AM.

Comment

120ish upto 180ish. 10% variance between cylinders
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Worst case scenario this thing has broke a tooth and jumped timing?

Comment

That wouldn't be the worst case. It would take more than one tooth, I guess it could happen. Not a common problem with these motors. Worst case they punched a valve through the piston.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Cylinders are averaging around 130-135. Bike does have 37k on it. But they all held compression.

Comment

Make sure carb to engine boots are tight
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Million$ View Post
                  Make sure carb to engine boots are tight
                  Yeah their straight, no cracks or loose. Normal wear.

Comment

I'd shoot for dirty carbs then. Use starting fluid and see if it will actually run. If it starts, it's a carb issue. Did you check the plugs?
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Could they have switch the ignition pick up wires? Does anybody which colors go where?

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                      I'd shoot for dirty carbs then. Use starting fluid and see if it will actually run. If it starts, it's a carb issue. Did you check the plugs?
                      Plugs are in good shape. Do ya think the coil leads might be mixed up? Do you know the color code for each coil top and bottom?
                      Last edited by Volksboy69; 04-03-2016, 12:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I mean, did you verify that the correct wire was on the correct plug? I'm still leaning to gummed up carbs.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                          I mean, did you verify that the correct wire was on the correct plug? I'm still leaning to gummed up carbs.
                          Yeah were good to go on that aspect

Comment

No polarity, which wire goes where is not a factor.

Comment

So just for the "what the hell" factor I decided to swap the plug wires. And holy hell it fired up! Almost purred like a kitten. If kittens smoke and fart! But I'm pretty sure the bike has been sitting a while.

Anyway, I discovered that whoever worked on the bike didn't have a clue. The left coil which usually runs 1 and for 4. Had the coil leads for 2 and 3. Thats why the bike wouldn't run with the plug wires in the factory position! So I changed the leads and reset the plug wires to factory. "BOOM" she doesn't backfire at 3k like it was before. Prob need to clean carbs and pilot jets. But other than that she remains solid!

Fyi.

Left coil top=white and grey wire
                              Left coil bottom=orange and white wire
                              Right coil top=black and yellow wire
                              Right coil bottom=orange and white wire

Comment

Working...
                              X