X

Speedometer reads 8 mph off constantly

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer reads 8 mph off constantly

Hello guys I'm riding a 95 suzuki katana 600... It reads 8 mph off all the time. I've read that manufactures make it this way so that we don't speed all the time is this true? I've cleaned my speedo cable and lubed it and still the same any ideas with what's going on or is there nothing I can do about it because of the manufacture?

You can do something about it, but it's a giant pain in the ass. You'd have to take the speedometer apart, and it's not supposed to come apart. In other words, for 8 MPH on a Katana, I'd give that a big "fuck that".

Comment

Yeah I'm gonna say fuck it and go 8 over all the time

Comment

works for me

Comment

What tires are you running? Incorrect tire size, any tire size change has an effect on the speedo reading. Such as using 70 series instead of 80 series. Like going from a 110/80/17 to a 120/70/17, they aren't quite the same diameter and worn out tires will be smaller and will screw with the speedo also but, yes the speedo is off.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I'm not running stock tire size I'm running the pirelli sport demon 110/70/17 on it which is a slightly lower sidewall heighth I believe so with that in mind could that be my problem?

Comment

Well stock is 110/80/17 so definitely is part of your problem. If you lower the profile you go wider on the width to keep the diameter as close as possible. You should of used a 120/70/17
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

the speedometer is still gonna be off anyway. Just ride your motorcycle.

Comment

Yeah, I agree, just me being anal.... or being an anal...
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Ok guys I have one more question for you. The faster I go will it be more off?

Comment

It is a mechanical speedometer, so yes.
                      2006 Katana 750

Comment

Slightly....not by much though. Its based on a percentage scale I believe. I had a BMW that did this. It was reading 10kms faster then what I was actually doing. I had thought everyone just started driving faster every day for some reason. Then I checked my GPS on my cell. That's when I knew the speedo was out. I'm OCD when it comes to stuff being off. I bought a NAV and used the speed off of that to tell how fast I was actually going.

Comment

Working...
                        X