X

Rear brakes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brakes

Im going to tackle my rear brakes. They need changing lime now. Never done them before on a motorcycle. Is there any secrets, tips, tricks to this? I've only got the pads sp is that everything I need?

Lime? Sp? Pin lube, dot 4 brake fluid. Won't know if the boots are cracked until you pull the caliper and pads.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

oops. lime is like and sp is so. typo

Dot 3 is not good?
      Last edited by jonathon1; 03-13-2016, 04:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by jonathon1 View Post
        Dot 3 is not good?
        Motorcycles generally need DOT4. A tiny bottle will do the front and rear.

Comment

+1, higher boiling point. do not use dot 5. It's is synthetic.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Dot 4 it is. Its on the list.

Comment

Anyone ever changed the pads on Tokico calipers? Rear brake.

Comment

Pretty much the same as all calipers.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

How do i get the pins out? Do I have to open up the caliper, the 2 bolts holding the housing together?

Im pretty sure i watched some videos where they didnt have to open the calipers up.
                  Last edited by jonathon1; 03-22-2016, 09:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

How do i get the pins out? Do I have to open up the caliper, the 2 bolts holding the housing together?

Im pretty sure i watched some videos where they didnt have to open the calipers up.
                    Your talking about for a pad change yeah? It should be held in by a little cotter pin. Remove that, wiggle the pin out, remove other cotter pin, wiggle pin out, and catch the... Not sure what it's called, the metal piece that sits under the pin and over the pads. Should be 2 spring clips, they like to fly out when the first pin is removed
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Yep its a pad change. I pulled the cotter out but i cant get the pins running through the pads to budge.

Im going to mess with them some more. See if i cant get them to move.
                      Last edited by jonathon1; 03-22-2016, 09:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yep its a pad change. I pulled the cotter out but i cant get the pins running through the pads to budge.

Im going to mess with them some more. See if i cant get them to move.
                        You will need a punch and a hammer. And start swinging

Comment

I had thought of that but when i looked there was holes for them to come out but no holes on the other side to punch them out.

Comment

Shoot the pins up with some penetrant and let them soak for a bit. You may have to grab the pins with a needle nose vice grip and try turning them a bit till they loosen, then as you're twisting them, apply some force towards you to work the pins out. Depending on the # of miles on the bike, you may have to replace the pins. If they are in good shape, a touch of never-seize when replacing will ensure an easier time next pad replacement.
                            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

I had thought of that but when i looked there was holes for them to come out but no holes on the other side to punch them out.
                              Weird...mine have a hole to use a punch. I wonder if the PO modified mine

Comment

Working...
                              X