X

bike turns but wont pop, even with starting fluid

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike turns but wont pop, even with starting fluid

Hey guys im new to the forum. My bike has fuel, compression, and spark. However, will not start no matter what i do to it. Ive had car smart buddies come and check it out, and ive done tons of car work so im pretty damn savy myself, so please. Help me figure this out. Ran good last year,but hasnt popped at all this year. I checked the plugs and they are sparking however i have not taken a multimeter to it yet. New plugs as well. Thx

If the battery is just a little weak that will cause a problem.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

How long has it been sitting without being run?

Comment

Its a brand new battery with a fresh charge. And it last ran last summer.

Comment

Originally posted by kurda414 View Post
          Its a brand new battery with a fresh charge. And it last ran last summer.
          Your carbs might be dry. Switch you fuel valve to pri for Prime. Give it a couple of minutes then try starting it

Comment

But shouldnt it have popped with the starting fluid?

Comment

Check/adjust valves
              sigpic

Comment

Run switch in the on position? Getting spark? Plug wire on the correct plug. Left 1&4 right 2&3?
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Simple is always a good way to go first....batteries are a pain and I don't trust them.....try starting your bike off a non-running car's battery.
                  sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                  ------------------------------------------
                  89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                  96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Is the starter turning over? If the plugs are sparking, probably is, but just wanted to make sure.

Measure voltage at the coils with the starter engaged - needs to be 11v. Plugs will spark below that, but not hot enough to ignite fuel.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Yes starter turns it. Could bad valve timing cause it not to start?

Comment

Originally posted by kurda414 View Post
                        Yes starter turns it. Could bad valve timing cause it not to start?
                        What makes you think you're valve timing is off? Shouldn't have changed just sitting. If it ran good when you parked it I'd say clogged carbs,or low voltage at coils.
                        Bikes:89 1100f 88 1100f 82 goldwing aspencade 82 goldwing naked

Comment

+1. You'd have to be way off for that.
                          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran
                          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Did you get it started? I am having the same problem...

Comment

Working...
                            X