X

Idle issues?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle issues?

Hello, here is my story. Never used a forum, not sure how this all works so please be forgiving and kindly correct me if I'm not posting in the right place or something. . I have a 1996 Suzuki katana gsx750f. Got it this past summer. 18,000 miles. 2 hours away. This is my first bike and honestly don't know a lot about them. Bought a service/repair manual. Looked for what I needed didn't help. The bike was stalling out at stops. Not every time. Maybe about an hour into ridding. Always started back up. But it bugged me so I had a friend look at it to see if he could figure out why. Anyways he made it worse. Not sure what he did to it. But now I have to constantly play with the adjustment screw on the side. This is how it goes. Start the bike up. Idle is to low. So adjust the screw to bring it up to 1200 rpms. Blip the throttle and it just hangs out between 3-4K rpms. So then to get it to stop I have to adjust it back down to 1200 but then the idle falls to low and it stalls. And then repeat. Any information would be helpful and appreciated. I don't want to take it to a shop if I don't have too. So far iv been told carbs need cleaned. And check for vacuum leaks. I also checked the filter on the Petcock and it was clean not sure if that matters. I am mechanically inclined just never been around bikes before. Also anyone know where to get parts for it? Can't seem to find anywhere..thank you in advance.

100% carbs. For parts, I use BikeBandit.com. I buy more carburetor parts that 75% of this forum combined, it's what I do. BikeBandit will have what you need.

Comment

^^^ I agree
      The good= You have a low mileage bike!
      The bad=The bike is 20 years old with only 18000 miles on it which means it has been sitting idle alot during it's life = clogged carb passages.
      Bikes:89 1100f 88 1100f 82 goldwing aspencade 82 goldwing naked

Comment

I would assume there are some cracks in the vacuum tubes too.
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

And a rusty tank
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

So looks like it's off too a shop for me :/. Well thank you all for your replies.

Comment

Good luck with that

Comment

Sarcasm ^^^^^^. But, I agree.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

What the previous two posts were suggesting was: Learn to do it yourself.

Most shops want nothing to do with bikes that old, more than likely have no one on staff who really knows these bikes, very likely to not have anyone on staff who knows how rebuild carbs at all, much less the carbs on these bikes.

You can take it to a shop, spend a $1000+ and have a bike that won't run much better. Or learn to do it yourself, spend maybe $400 in parts, and KNOW it's done right or at the very least know what it takes to fix it (redo cleaning, most likely). If you don't trust yourself to clean the carbs correctly get in touch with Arsenic and buy one of his sets.

No matter which way you go though, make sure everything upstream of the carbs is clean and in good shape so you don't waste your time but getting crap into your nice clean carbs right away.

Comment

+10000000 on arsenic's carbs
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

I have a set of pre 98 750 carbs, but they need a donor set. If you want to send me your set, I can combine the two into one rebuilt set and give you money off the labor cost. Again, totally up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post
                        What the previous two posts were suggesting was: Learn to do it yourself.

Most shops want nothing to do with bikes that old, more than likely have no one on staff who really knows these bikes, very likely to not have anyone on staff who knows how rebuild carbs at all, much less the carbs on these bikes.

You can take it to a shop, spend a $1000+ and have a bike that won't run much better. Or learn to do it yourself, spend maybe $400 in parts, and KNOW it's done right or at the very least know what it takes to fix it (redo cleaning, most likely). If you don't trust yourself to clean the carbs correctly get in touch with Arsenic and buy one of his sets.

No matter which way you go though, make sure everything upstream of the carbs is clean and in good shape so you don't waste your time but getting crap into your nice clean carbs right away.
                        Thank you, I'll look into doing it myself first. I mean might as well try and if I can't get it have a shop try.

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        I have a set of pre 98 750 carbs, but they need a donor set. If you want to send me your set, I can combine the two into one rebuilt set and give you money off the labor cost. Again, totally up to you.

How much would that cost me?
                        Last edited by Tylerzitkovic; 02-04-2016, 09:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Tylerzitkovic View Post
                          How m would that cost me?
                          Not sure of his current prices, but based on history, his cost for a perfect set of carbs, ready to install, sync and run, is less that a local shop to "clean" the carbs.

The PO of my bike spent $650 to have the carbs "cleaned" ...yeah, right. I spent $110 on a can of Berryman's, rebuild kits, boot gaskets, one new cap, and new screws for the rails and boots. Been riding it ever since!

Comment

The problem is, shops don't clean carbs well at all so, chances are great that you will 1) not get your bike back at the time stated and/or 2) you'll end up taking it back due to poor running.
                            Nobody will quote arsenics prices but, arsenic. PM arsenic for his price.
                            Last edited by 92xjunker; 02-04-2016, 09:31 PM.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                              The problem is, shops don't clean carbs well at all so, chances are great that you will 1) not get your bike back at the time stated and/or 2) you'll end up taking it back due to poor running.
                              Nobody will quote arsenics prices but, arsenic. PM his for a price.

That's what's I was trying to do but did it wrong..... Bad at forums I guess lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X