Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Butterfly valves cannot physically sync up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterfly valves cannot physically sync up?

My #3 carburetor butterfly valve [the side connected to the throttle cable linkage] cannot be closed any further. It is nowhere near shut, yet all of the other 3 carbs are synced together. Why might this be the case? Even when not connected to the other carbs I cannot get it to shut. It also opens further than the other valves to the point where it is not completely horizontal at 100% throttle.

Any advice on a solution? Should I unscrew the butterfly valve and try reseating it?

Make sure it not hanging up on the carb boot clamp, cable isn't frayed, and the A/F needle isn't broken off from over tightening and is now poking threw the bore.. Oh, and the linkage springs are set correctly.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by safariplanet View Post
      Any advice on a solution? Should I unscrew the butterfly valve and try reseating it?
      Separate it from the other carb bodies.

If it won't close all the way on it's own, then yes... you may need to re-seat it. I would confirm it's fully clean, and something else isn't preventing it from closing first though. If that's not the problem, then...

Loosen the 2 screws holding it in place, don't fully remove them unless you need to replace. If you replace, put both back in but not fully tight.

Close, and adjust the positioning so that it will fully close off. Tighten the screws then.

Before going any further, make sure you can easily open/close it with no clicking or catching of the movement. I like to open it a let it snap close, then make sure it will slowly open easily and not catch. If it catches, you need to further adjust it until it won't.

IF you have to do it for one, ... well that brings up why? Did you have them off/loose from the others also? If you did, you may need to check all 4. If you don't know why,... check all 4. for sure.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Check the easy thing first - linkage springs
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
        X