Head stem top race

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head stem top race

Hey Guys,

Well I've been spending this winter refreshing my '89 750 and have just ran into a snag with the head stem bearing races. I have taken everything apart and like an idiot, didn't bother to take photos .

After screwing up my original head stem (I stripped the inner thread when mounting the upper triple because the lower race was not seated properly in the head tube) I finally got a replacement.

Before I go any further and mess this one up, I now know the bottom race is recessed into the head tube, but the top one is sitting about 1mm above the head tube. Is this correct or should it be sitting flush?

On the plus side, this has been the only hiccup so far on the rebuild

When I did mine, I took note of where the old races sat. And just keep pounding them in until they stop. After assembling and riding for a while you need to check the head stem play, usually it settles in a bit more.
    1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
    V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
    Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Sadly I completely forgot to note how far they were in when I started the rebuild a couple months ago. I tried to get it in some more but doesn't seem to want to budge so I was thinking the 1mm lip is normal...I just don't want to go through this hassle again if I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
      X