X

89 katana has spark and gas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 katana has spark and gas

I have a 89 katana just replaced the coils for the dyna tech ignition because they weren't firing now the bike has spark and plugs soaked with gas but it's not running on all cylinders sounds like it's missing and tips or advice would be great my first bike

Dirty carbs perhaps? Spark fuel and air needed and you're getting 2 of them.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Verify you have the coils properly connected to the right plugs, with the correct wires plugged to the coils.

Left is 1-4, right is 2-3.

If the bike runs, but is missing, check for arcing. The easy way to do this is run the bike with the tank off, in low/no light (at night for example) and you will easily see the arcs that way. Make sure to check inside each plug well also.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Verify you have the coils properly connected to the right plugs, with the correct wires plugged to the coils.

Left is 1-4, right is 2-3.

Krey

+1

You could also try the spit test...spit on your finger before touching the tubes...see which one isn't as hot.... switch the coils over and see if it's the same tube. There's no guarantee when you buy used parts, and I'm assuming you bought salvaged parts. If you have a friend with the same bike you can always try swithching out the CDI....I'm just going by what problems I had with my Kat a few years ago.
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

The coils are new and i checked for spark with a tester and than the plugs to see if they had spark and they do and the coils are hooked up 1-4 and 2-3 and the spark plugs still soaked with gas and i did just clean the carb my buddy said try new plugs because sometimes if there bad they'll spark but not under pressure dose anybody know if this is true

Comment

A valve adjustment may be in order...
            sigpic

Comment

Not spark under pressure? Never heard that before. Just because you're getting spark doesn't mean it's got enough juice behind it. Wiring harness could be dirty/old/corroded. Check the voltage at the coils, needs to be 11v outside or higher. If its less, trace back and find the major voltage drops and clean or repair. Or look into doing the coil relay mod.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I've heard that before but, it only happens in very high compression motors I.E. Full race motors. It doesn't apply here. Either you have weak spark or you're over fueling.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                X