X

Slow dropping rpms

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow dropping rpms

I have a 2000 suzuki katana 600. When I open the throttle and release it my rpms are slow to drop. Is this the needle not sealing off completely? I've just cleaned carbs and etc.

It's a sign of a vacuum leak usually. Vacuum can be leaking from pretty much any where. Find the leak and then the forum can advise a repair.

Comment

Did you mess with the pilot mix screws? I just had the same problem, it turns out that I was too lean - causing my rpms to hang.

Comment

Yes I changed jets and cleaned the carbs. Are those located inside the carbs?

Comment

Here's a link to where they are located. You can also search the Katana Wiki - but to adjust you turn them in until lightly seated then back them out 2.5 turns. 2.5 turns is the starting point for most stock bikes. Also by turns (happened to me before) a complete 360 of the screw counts as 1 turn.

If you already had this adjusted another thing to look at is if your carbs are synced? This can provide the same symptoms if not. Another issue that may be your problem - how far screwed in is your idle adjuster knob? This gave me several instances of hanging idle by having it screwed in too far.

Also, do you have the stock airbox or pods?

Comment

Stock airbox

Comment

If I use pods then I don't need the airbox? Crazy question but I'm unfamiliar with the pods.

Im pretty sure I didn't mess with those pilot screws but when I got the bike it was garage kept for a few years. I had to clean the carbs just to get it to idle and stay running. I did a bench sync before replacement. I'm not sure if those screws were messed with before my ownership. I think I will start over with them as you say.

The idle screw is in just a pinch. Keeps it at roughly a 1000rpm. Its when I hit the throttle it's slow to come back down but always comes down to the right idle that is set.
              Last edited by jonathon1; 01-10-2016, 01:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Please don't run pods, they will cause more issues than you have now..
                If you didn't remove the A/F needles then you didn't clean the carbs properly. Starting over would be a good choice. You really need to sync the carbs with a sync tool or fabbed sync tool. Bench sync just gets the carbs to a starting point.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

As far as the carbs I just replaced the jets inside the bowl. O-rings too.

Is that the needle seated on the float?

Im in the process in getting the tool. Its something I wanted to get from day 1 especially knowing that the bike needed some tlc to get back right.
                  Last edited by jonathon1; 01-10-2016, 01:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

No A/F needle is on the the exterior lower front of the carb, just in front of the float bowl. It may Have a cap over it. If it does, be carful removing it. You'll have to drill a hole in the cap to pry it out.
                    Last edited by 92xjunker; 01-10-2016, 01:42 PM.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

I've been having problems getting my bike on the center stand. Is there something I can grease to make this easier. Or a trick.

Comment

Search is your friend here.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Yes sir. By the way I went out and got the ninja coffee bar after reading you talk about on the board and the thing is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by jonathon1 View Post
                            I've been having problems getting my bike on the center stand. Is there something I can grease to make this easier. Or a trick.
                            There's probably a bunch of YouTube videos for various bikes, its all about the same so watchung any of them should give you an idea as far as technique goes.
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by jonathon1 View Post
                              What worked for me: Put it on the sidestand after shutting it off ......while off the bike, lower the center-stand and once both sides are on the pavement, grab the handlebar with your left hand and your frame underneath your seat.....and pull up and back while leaving\pushing your foot on the peg.
                              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                              ------------------------------------------
                              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Working...
                              X