X

01 KAT 600 Streetfighter Makeover Carb

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01 KAT 600 Streetfighter Makeover Carb

Hi guys, First off, sorry for the long post......Thank you for dropping by to lend a hand and share. The current problem I have is carb issue but I bring comprehensive and and understanding to the table so be patient and I will listen...

I have a 01 suzuki katana 600F
    Stock headers wrapped (I like how it looks)
    Aftermarket- Moto GP shorty (I like how it sounds)
    Aftermarket- INA Airfilter (I like how she breaths)

*The bike starts perfectly, Idles great, sounds terrifying on short-rev.
    BUT.... pops on decel!
    Loses rpm/accel while holding WOT!, but will "come alive/catch/reaccelerate" momentarily when releasing WOT to return to Half throttle!
    Can be restarted by going into N, Priming the throttle (5or 6 quick wrist twists), and hitting the starter *while in motion on highway* (Happened twice before I decided to tow her) .
    I know that she is lean but I want to make sure I get the carb internals right the first time.

(Mikuni 19E3 1 LOZ3)
    stripped-CHECK
    chem-dipped-CHECK
    float height good-CHECK
    *CLEANED thoroughly with Q-tips and on an OCD level

-CARB 1.) 115 main jet 12.5 pilot jet 50 starter jet 1.5 turn out pilot screw
    -CARB 2.) 112.5 main jet 12.5 pilot jet 50 starter jet 1.5 turn out pilot screw
    -CARB 3.) 112.5 main jet 12.5 pilot jet 50 starter jet 1.5 turn our pilot screw
    -CARB 4.) 115 main jet 12.5 pilot jet 50 starter jet 1.5 turn out pilot screw
    Stock needle w/ stock 2.9 mm spacer (5DH30-54)

....now here is the problem.....

I have a 6 Sigma Racing Jet Kit (iknow iknow, DynoJet and other jet kits may be better, but I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE THIS SETUP WORK! In the package came with obviously no instructions except....

(2) 117.5 AB jets (I don't know what AB on the jet means, prob manufac.)
    (2) 120 AB jets (presumably main jets b/c starter jets have lower ##'s
    (2) 122.5 AB jets
    (2) 125 AB jets

(4) 20 AB jets (presumably pilot jets b/c they are long and skinny)

(4) small white plastic spacers 1.25mm thick (must be for jet needle height)
    (12) metal washers/spacers 0.50 mm thick
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............

My question is this: What jets should I swap out for the best possible result to alleviate the popping on decel.
    Please feel free to copy, paste, and type in your answers to help keep things organized and understandable, but the information below is all that is requested,,please.

-CARB 1.) ? main jet ? pilot jet ? starter jet ? turn out pilot screw
    -CARB 2.) ? main jet ? pilot jet ? starter jet ? turn out pilot screw
    -CARB 3.) ? main jet ? pilot jet ? starter jet ? turn our pilot screw
    -CARB 4.) ? main jet ? pilot jet ? starter jet ? turn out pilot screw

Stock needle w/ stock ? mm spacer/or how many?

.........only using........

(2) 117.5 AB jets (I don't know what AB on the jet means, prob manufac.)
    (2) 120 AB jets (presumably main jets b/c starter jets have lower ##'s
    (2) 122.5 AB jets
    (2) 125 AB jets

(4) 20 AB jets (presumably pilot jets b/c they are long and skinny)

(4) small white plastic spacers 1.25mm thick (must be for jet needle height)
    (12) metal washers/spacers 0.50 mm thick

Any questions are well appreciated and will be answered the best I can!
    Last edited by curtis.o.jordan; 11-09-2015, 04:23 PM.

Ivan's is a good kit. You should be contacting Ivan's for setup information. You can't ask what jet should I use, nobody could give you a 100% positive answer. You'll have to swap jets to get the best WOT response. Your current setup is going to leave you way lean. Installing RACE jetting is going to compound your fueling issues. The Kat motor is so detuned that you just spent more money than you needed to. First your A/F screw should be at least 2.5 turns out. Then work on swapping main jets to get the best WOT you can get. Not going into using high flow filters on CV carbs, you can research that yourself.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Alleviating the popping on decel has exactly zero to do with main jets. That has everything to do with the A/F screws. They should start at 2.5 turns out, not 1.5 turns out. Did 6 Sigma suggest 1.5 turns out? I would believe that in a heart beat. Trying to make your motorcycle run great with the most BS "jet kit" on the market is going to be pretty tough.

Comment

Thank you for the info. I got my carbs apart as we speak, and yes they did say 1.5 turns out. Im doing a mean clean as i put them back together/ turning the pilot out 2.5 and going from there. I think i'll start with the 117 on carb 1 and 4 and 115 on carb 2 and 3......just to start.

Comment

My 99 600 came with 114 main jets. WTF? Im gonna order Ivans kit. What size jets does his kit come with?
          sigpic

Comment

That's a Dynojet size. You can not mix Mikuni main jets with DJ needles. You need to do some research before you go randomly switching jets. If you go with Ivan's and switch everything at the same time, that is fine. Ivan's kit uses like 110 main jets I believe, which are smaller than the stock 115/112.5 mains. Yup, 110 mains
            Last edited by arsenic; 11-09-2015, 08:10 PM.

Comment

I missed some thing?----sigma.
              Although Ivan's is better than Sigma by a wide margin.
              Last edited by 92xjunker; 11-09-2015, 09:14 PM.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Anything's better than sigma. A Factory Pro jet kit for a different bike would be better. To the OP, I'm not trying to call you out for using a shit jet kit. You obviously didn't know. Saying you want to make that setup work... no you don't. Anything is better than that crap. I wouldn't suggest Dynojet though. Factory Pro is my personal choice, Ivan's kit is pretty good too.
                Last edited by arsenic; 11-09-2015, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your tips and opinions (nothing wrong with that), but I just wanted to be sure that I was headed in the right direction. Now some of you say Factory pro and what not, and I can see your decision on preference.

Correct me but If I am not "technically" mistaken........."as long as I do the proper conversion of jet (mL) consumption during an increase or decrease in jet size, then what should be the difference if it is a sigma or another kit?

I only ask because I have not found many people who write down their exploits and share them for guys like me. I see myself as pioneering idea for my bike in hopes that this forum will "atleast" help conjure idea into making something work. I understand that my choice of kit may not be to your agreeance in your eyes, so please help me build an idea, instead of trying to destroy an idea.

(If I took 10 jet from different manufacturers and put em in a bowl, would you know which one was the best? could you even tell if it didn't have markings? All jets are just spun brass with pre-drilled holes to let a certain amount of fluid/air to pass. The quality of the brass and hole size means something, not the manufacturer.)

THINK:What makes something great? The idea that everyone wants, has, or is using it!

Comment

Needles and their taper, factory pro just works. Easier all around. Metering is more precise threw the entire RPM range. They'll all work if you have the time to tune, the same...no.
                    Your all wrong on the jets. It's all about CC flow but, some are sized by hole size. It makes a great deal in selecting the proper size. Manufacturer probably wouldn't mater much as long as they were sized by CC flow but, Stick with a jet kit that uses Mikuni jets, the jets your carbs came with.
                    We're not bashing your idea, we're trying to steer you in a direction that will get you were you want to be properly. Half assing an idea together with knowledge from others that are trying to direct you away from 1) wasting time on a stage that will not have optimal output as an end result 2) direct you to a path that will provide optimal output.
                    You came to a site that most older members know more about these bikes than any dealer that ever sold them, so when info is given its because they have been there and done that. BTW ARSENIC is the man for katana carbs and jet kits. No joke..
                    Last edited by 92xjunker; 11-10-2015, 02:10 AM.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Oh, I'm not touching the needle. If I do, Im just shining it up, not swapping..but that comes later.. As stated, my problem was in my WOT and having a still lean mixture with an improper pilot screw turn. That is why I asked the (WWYD) question that everyone just blew past. With what I have is all that I have and I am just trying to make it work but some just seem bent on telling others to buy something different. Sigma was inexpensive, and brass is durable, so I figured as long as the drilled holes are of proper size and """flow"""....all I have to do is do calculation, buy the proper jet per calculated conversion, and !wha la!

Comment

The jet kit didn't come with needles??
                        It's not as easy as coming up with a calculation and wa la!!!! Minute changes in the motor intake and exhaust will change what you need. An O2 meter installed for tuning helps a lot. You've opened the motor so much that HP will be better but, torque is going to be a lot lower, is the header OEM or after market? If all your jets are from the same company, they should be ok. They aren't all the same, they may look near the same but, they aren't.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

No it didn't come with needles. No biggies.....sssshhhhiiiiiimmmmm iiiiittttt!!!
                          The jets that came with the bike are Mikuni stock jets. The 6 sigma jets, I found out are AB (Precision Engineering) jets..Not Dyno, Not Mikuni, but generically for both

3) Precision Engineering - Also sold under the names 'RD Precision Engineering' and 'Freeman Automotive' - All are marked with an 'AB' on the jet. Like Dynojet, measured in mm, but come in .025mm increments.

4) Mikuni - Made for Mikuni Carburetors, but will also fit Keihin. Available in 2.5 increments. Mikuni uses yet another measurement convention - reportedly based on flow rate. The result is that Mikuni's sizes are vastly different from the other makers'.
                          The different manufacturers' jets will have a slightly different taper to the orifice, which can affect flow. This means that there will most likely be very slight differences between the same diameter jets from different makers.
                          The measurements in this chart are from the actual measured orifice size, in millimeters. Keihin 105 is the stock main jet.
                          Last edited by curtis.o.jordan; 11-10-2015, 02:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I told you in the beginning, tuning is the same procedure with every jet kit. Installation is different. Here is their install on a CV carb link http://www.6sigmajetkit.com/installation.html
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                            X