X

Battery Woes...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Woes...

Alright, so I needed a new battery (was using a friends last season). I called McBrides in the morning, they said they had one, they'd put it on the charger and I could come in to pick it up 4 hours later.

I ran some erands and then went to picked up the battery.

I hadn't stabilized the fuel in the bike to put it away, just stopped riding. It was also overdue for an oil change. So I syphonned out the fuel, just to be safe, and I threw it in my car. I drained the floats. I put fresh fuel in the tank, set the selector to primek to refill the floats while I then changed the oil and filter.

GREAT! Time to drop the new battery in and fire it up!! Oops, wrong battery. The terminals are on the wrong side and it does not fit in the tray. SomammaBi@tch!.. and McBrides is closed now! I should have checked that first thing.

So I heard that it was alright to jump a bike (93 Katana 600) from a car battery if the car is not running. I hooked the car battery up to the actual connetions on the bike with no bike battery in the system... nothing.

No lights, no click... nothing. In my manual, it shows that there is a master circuit breaker just behind the battery tray. My first instinct is that I popped that but I cannot find it.

Does that sound right? Or is there some other reason that nothing would happen? Both blinkers are disconnected and off but that can't be it. A couple weeks ago, I turned the ignition to on before removing my friends battery. I did indeed get a headlight, neutral light, tail/braklights, blinker. I just didn't want to turn it over until I hade changed the fuel and oil.

Any suggestions?

N
    My Karma ran over my Dogma.

Umm that is a good way to fry your system. You should have the battery in the bike then hook the cables up. Where is your old battery? Was it dead? You may want to try your old battery and hook the cables up to that then try to start it.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020
      Umm that is a good way to fry your system. You should have the battery in the bike then hook the cables up. Where is your old battery? Was it dead? You may want to try your old battery and hook the cables up to that then try to start it.
      +1

Comment

Originally posted by HS2020
        Where is your old battery? Was it dead?
        The old battery was dead as disco. It's still kicking around somewhere though. I had a friends battery in towards the end of last season. Stopped riding, disconnected it and left it in underground parking. I had to return my friends battery last week so before I removed it, I connected it and turned my ignition on. Had lights, didn't try to turn it over at all, was not concerned it wouldn't.

So I hope I have not done any damage. The car was not running and it was only for a few seconds. I'll have to wait until I exchange the battery to know for sure. I didn't want to hook this one up.

Oh yeah, Is there a master circuit breaker somewhere?

N

Comment

Bump..

So I just called McBrides (they were closed yesterday). They gave me a 98+ battery. No problem, he's going to throw the proper one on the charger for me now and I'll be in to get it in 4 hours.

Cross yer fingers for me. I hope I haven't done any harm.

As a heads up, what are some things I should look for in case I did? Blown fuses?

N

Comment

Update:

Got the new battery, dropped it in and she started right up! a little blueish smoke to begin with... and it wanted the choke on for a little while but settled nicely and after about 30 seconds, the blue smoke was gone. Did a few laps of the underground parking lot. Parked it, let it sit a while and then topped off the oil.

I guess I'll be out soon to top off the tank and add some injector cleaner? Any reccomended brands?

N

Comment

Working...
            X