1992 600 won't start. No spark on 1 and 4

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 600 won't start. No spark on 1 and 4

Hey guys,
    I picked up a 1992 600 Katana a couple weeks ago, and it needed some brake work so I brought it to my mechanic. He worked on the brakes and got them working nicely, but he says that the bike won't even start now. Apparently there's no spark on cylinders 1 and 4. He said that he has no idea what is causing it, and doesn't even know where to start to look. I had the bike running a week ago, and it was running well. Any thoughts on what it could be? Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Elias

Sounds like one hell of a mechanic there. My guess, it's a coil. There are two coils. One controls cylinders 2 & 3, and you guessed it, the other controls 1 & 4.

Comment

That was my thought exactly...he said that he thinks that it was highly unlikely to be the coil. Is it a common problem on these bikes?

Comment

It's a common problem on any 23 year old bike.

Comment

+1 1 and 4 is a dead give away. Dont do anything until you test the coil. Either Ohm it out, OR swap coils (be sure to label them) but if you put Coils 2 (powers 2 and 3) on 1 and 4 and they spark... well... there ya go.
          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Ummm...I wouldn't want him working on my brakes. +1 to coils
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
            X