X

Valve job botched

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve job botched

I just finished reassembling my bike last night, after adjusting the valves. Everything seemed to be in spec, but a few needed slight adjustments to be closer to their neighbor. Or so I thought.

She seemed to run well enough while syncing the carbs, which I think went quite well. I split my manometer in half and it was far easier than trying to work with all four hooked up at once. Much less time, almost none, was spent redistributing the fluid while working with only two at a time.

The quick trip down the road was not so great, strange surging and/or hesitation over 4k RPMs. Sounds a bit like a dirt bike as the revs climb, though this was starting just before taking apart to do the valves. I think I need to seek some local assistance with the proper feel of feeler gauges. Reading can only get one so far; this seems like something that will be much more easily communicated in person.

1997 GSX750F

I will say this, it's not your valves, carbs for sure...
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I was amazed with how much impact the carbs have on the drivability of the bike. Even if you don't think anything is wrong with them.
      1993 Katana 600

Comment

Well I will take them apart first then. How much an issue would a little ATF in the vaccuum port cause? Carb #1 managed to get a little up the line before I split the manometer.

1997 GSX750F

Comment

None, most likely crap in the carbs
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Just checking - you synced the carbs in pairs right? 1 to 2 and 3 to 4. Did you then sync 2 to 3? If not, you need to.

Also, need the rpms at 1800 while syncing. If they don't get to 1800, get it as close as you can. Sync. Then readjust the idle closer to 1800. Resync. Readjust idle. Rinse repeat etc.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Yes, I made sure to sync each side, then across the middle as well. I had the revs a little below the 2k line while working on them. I will give them another go. I will try to sync them first, then dismantle and clean them if the problem persists.

I have been getting horrible mileage all season, and had thought it due to the valves, as I had one exhaust valve replaced last fall. Perhaps it was due to my previous attempt at syncing the carbs. The two inside plugs were noticeably blacker than the outer ones when I had them out the other day. Though, it ran well until this most recent tank, which is when it started to sound like a dirt bike at times.

1997 GSX750F

Comment

Carbs dirty or possibly air leaks in the intake system somewhere...

Comment

Katriders solves it again! 92xjunker, you get points!

There was a bug that managed to get stuck in the main jet of #4, and another in the upper reaches above the float bowl of #3. I got rid of them, and gave the pilots a quick blast through with carb spray for good measure. Throttle response was very nice on the quick, 1 mile or so, test run.

I am still concerned that I did not get the valves done as well as I would have liked, but that is probably just me being worrisome and/or perfectionist. I think the bike sounds a bit ticky right now. Here is a short video, sorry about the quality, it was taken with my cellular device. The ticky sound is a bit muted on the video; I'll make another video with the gopro later.

1997 GSX750F

Comment

Kats are a bit ticky anyway. You can recheck, also check the cam chain tensioner.
                    Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-20-2015, 08:41 PM.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

After a few more test miles, I was going to leave it alone; the bike was running quite well. However, apparently some force thought that I should take the time to go back in. Today the oil drain plug fell out on the road. I could not find where it went, but luckily Bikebandit has them available.

Perhaps this is partly why the repair manual says to change the o-ring every time the drain bolt is removed. Apparently checking the drain plug torque needs to be added to my pre-ride check as well. Since I have to wait awhile for the replacement bolt to arrive, as well as wanting to check for damage, I think I'll be opening the top end again.

1997 GSX750F

Comment

I would recomend you Upgrade to a Fumoto F-111 Oil Drain Valve

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Well that is a beautiful little chunk of brass. I already ordered the stock replacement, but I think I'll have to pick up one of those as well. Thank you, ZukiFred.

I am curious about one thing though. The stock bolt includes the magnet to pick up any metal shavings that might be in the oil. Should I install another magnet to compensate for the loss of the original when switching to the Fumoto plug? Any suggestions on the topic, if so?

1997 GSX750F

Comment

Working...
                          X