X

Gas Leaking..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Leaking..

So I was riding yesterday for about an hour to pick up my girl, got there with no problems.. Picked her up and we went out to lunch. When we got to the restaurant I noticed red-orange dust all over my riding boots.. "rust-dust" from somewhere.. didn't think anything of it at the time and we went back to her place, hung out a bit and then I headed home, no problems along the way.. When I got home and parked in my garage everything was good, no additional "rust-dust" from the hour trip back home. The next morning the whole garage reeked of gas and there was a decent sized puddle under the center of the bike, near the brake/gear shift area.. If anyone has any suggestions on what to look for to identify and fix the leak, I would appreciate any help I can get.. I have the skins and tank off, but I don't exactly know what I'm looking at or looking for, not very mechanically inclined, but I'm broke so fixing it myself will be better than taking it to a shop that I cant afford.. The bike is a 96 Katana 600F.
    help me, I don't know shit about mechanical stuff.. lol

First, check your oil level, is it high? Rust could be from the open frame at the pegs.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

no, the oil was actually a lil low.. topped it off and cleaned out the fuel tube under the tank.. the clear one that goes from the tank to the pump I think.. there was a bit of rust colored gunk in the nipple at the bottom of the tank. looked in the tank with a flashlight for rust bits, but didn't see any.. filled the tank halfway and ran it for 5 min or so, waiting to see if any more puddles form underneath.. Not sure about the rust being from the exposed frame, its never dispersed rust-dust onto my boots before this incident and I've had it for 2 years. Just seems to co-incidental that I get the rust-dust and then it starts leaking gas.. I think they must be related but I can't find anything that looks wrong/broken, then again I don't know much about engines in the first place..
      Last edited by Mike Oxbig; 08-07-2015, 05:27 PM.

Comment

So, it flooded the engine with fuel to the point of leaving a significant puddle, but the oil level is low? There was oil in it to begin with right?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          So, it flooded the engine with fuel to the point of leaving a significant puddle, but the oil level is low? There was oil in it to begin with right?
          Is it possible that it went the other way (if he was lucky), and the fuel traveled backwards through the intake bell, into the airbox and ontp the ground?
          '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

I would check the air box..
            Last edited by 92xjunker; 08-07-2015, 10:33 PM.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Petcock decide to eat it? Leaky old splitting fuel line?

Make sure there isn't fuel in your crankcase. Just remove the oil fill plug and take a wiff. Any fuel smell = change oil before running the engine more. But after you find/fix the leak. If there is fuel in there, check the floats/orings in the carbs.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

the oil was low but not empty. i just did an oil change about a month ago. I've isolated a black hose underneath the airbox that leads down to by the gear shifter and break area that doesn't connect to anything, probably a drain house of some kind ? with a cap on the end of it. further up the hose its wrapped in electrical tape.. after unwrapping the tape a large hole was exposed and fuel began to gush out.. that's what i get for buying a second hand bike i guess.. anyway, i'm thinking replace or retape the house will probably solve the problem.. or is there a more significant problem looming on the horizon ? ie,.why is there fuel draining out of my airbox to begin with.. i don't know a thing about carbs and don't want tear stuff apart and not know how to get it back together correctly :/

Comment

I do, I know quite a bit about carbs actually. I sell rebuilt carbs. If you're broke, good luck with that. Hey, you're not far from me. I'm in Aurora.
                  Last edited by arsenic; 08-08-2015, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Oxbig View Post
                    the oil was low but not empty. i just did an oil change about a month ago. I've isolated a black hose underneath the airbox that leads down to by the gear shifter and break area that doesn't connect to anything, probably a drain house of some kind ? with a cap on the end of it. further up the hose its wrapped in electrical tape.. after unwrapping the tape a large hole was exposed and fuel began to gush out.. that's what i get for buying a second hand bike i guess.. anyway, i'm thinking replace or retape the house will probably solve the problem.. or is there a more significant problem looming on the horizon ? ie,.why is there fuel draining out of my airbox to begin with.. i don't know a thing about carbs and don't want tear stuff apart and not know how to get it back together correctly :/
                    Sticking float needles/floats, in combination with a petcock in-need of a rebuild.
                    '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

Draining that hose treats the symptom, not the problem. A small amount of oil/fuel in there is ok. Gushing out isn't. But that hose is supposed to be connected to the bottom of the air box, so the fuel was coming from there. I'd get a new hose amongst other things - tape might not seal perfectly and then you'll have a vac leak and all the issues associated with it.
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
                      X