X

95 600 doesn't want to start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 600 doesn't want to start

I just bought this bike from a guy that let it sit for for about a year. I drained all the gas out of the tank got a new petcock and cleaned the carbs. The main jets were good but 3 of the pilot jets were blocked solid, cleaned them all out and tried starting it. It'll run for about 2 seconds and shut off. Before I cleaned the jets it would run at about 4g if I shook the bike but as soon as I hit the throttle it died so I figured it was the pilots. But now it won't stay running even if I shake it. Could someone help me out or give me a link to another thread?

Clean your carbs, just cleaning the jets won't work. Carbs 101 is what you need.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      Clean your carbs, just cleaning the jets won't work. Carbs 101 is what you need.
      I cleaned the carbs twice. There was a little junk on the bottom and one of the needles was gunked up but besides that and the pilot jets it was clean

Comment

How did you clean them?
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

I followed carbs 101

Comment

Something didn't go right. It's 100% a carb problem. Is the vac hose from carb 4 on the back of the petcock? Have you tried to start in "prime"?
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Vacuum hose is hooked up. I didn't try it on prime since I cleaned it but I'll try that tomorrow and if that doesn't work I'll pull the carbs again. Thanks!

Comment

If you just used carb spray they aren't really clean. They should soak in Berryman's overnight, along with the jets, to be really clean.

Comment

Just throwing this out there. I have a 90-97 600 set, I just have to build it. I haven't done that because it's hot as fuck. But if someone wants them, and pays I'll sweat. However, I'm not sweating for a promise.

Comment

You need cooling in the shop. Get an evaporative cooler, AKA swamp cooler
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

I already put a nice forced air heater in there. A/C would be pushing it. In January, I'm fine. August, forget about it.

Comment

Every house here has A/C in the garage..... don't want these expensive cars damaged
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                          Every house here has A/C in the garage..... don't want these expensive cars damaged
                          it's not like that here, no one's worried about their 98 Ford Taurus.

Comment

Ok so today was the first time I've had time to work on the bike. I tore the carbs completely apart and soaked all the metal pieces in berrymans for about 8 hrs. I picked up a carb cleaning tool and made sure all the ports were clean. Checked all my seals including the intake boots. Put the carbs back together with new mikuni 32.5 pilot jets bench synced them and put them back on the bike. Got everything hooked up right, and primed the bowls. It will fire when the starter is turning but won't stay running. I put new coils and plugs on because I was getting weak spark but still won't go. Any ideas? Could the timing be off?

Comment

No, it's fixed timing. Hate to say it but, it's a carb issue.
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X