02 600, sitting since '06

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02 600, sitting since '06

Hi All,

So for many reasons I won't get into my bike has been sitting in garage since '06, it has about 3k miles on her.
    I want to try and resurrect her now. I didn't do anything to store her for the long haul :/ The tank is rusty, I've taken it off & have started the process of cleaning it with kbs 3 step fluids. I'm guessing this won't be the extent of the possible problems :/
    I've bought a new battery, oil & filter, fuel filter, I'm guessing spark plugs will also be in order?
    The tires were low, but filled up & seem to be OK.
    Don't know if I'm looking at this too simplisticly or not, what do you guys recommend?
    My mechanical abilities are not that great, i.e. Won't be taking apart carburetors, that's for sure.

Thanks,
    Joe

Originally posted by joeshark View Post
    Won't be taking apart carburetors, that's for sure.

Thanks,
    Joe
    That is, beyond a doubt, what you need to do.

Comment

Definitely going to have to work on the carbs unless you're the luckiest SOB alive. Gas evaporating out clogs the little internal passages so the bike can't run right/at all.

Not trying to be mean - if you're of limited mechanical ability, you'd be better off getting a bike that doesn't need working on. Just from sitting, you'd need new tires, carbs cleaned/sync'd, brakes flushed, fork oil changed, engine oil changed, cables all lubed, chain lubed, bearings in the wheels, swing arm and steering stem regreased. Carbs are the hardest, all the other stuff is just time consuming. Manual available for download in the wiki.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

In fairness, it'll probably run...I just got one that's been sitting since 2010, it ran, but terribly.

Look at it this way; it's not running, and therefore is worth next to nothing. Someone like me would buy it for less than $500 on a blind bet that it'd be relatively easy to get going and flip. So you can go ahead and dive in without the possibility of losing much. Nowhere to go but up.

Comment

As mentioned above: Tires, fluids, lubing bearings, carb clean and sync.

Doing the carbs yourself isn't all that hard, just need to keep things organized and do the cleaning properly the first time...so you don't have to do it all again.

Comment

Yup... 9 years is a loooong time.
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

haha Thanks guys. Here I thought I would just need a can of seafoam and i'd be good to go :P

I'm not too sure the tires need to be replaced, they were brand new when I last rode them, and they look pretty good; though i'm not sure you could just tell by looking if they're good or not?

My biggest problem right now is the Gas tank. I've done the first step of cleaning, with KBS Klean, still looks a little surface rusty. Next step is the Rust Blast, surface prep/rust remover.
              The gas cap section is pretty fudged up. I think I should just replace it with a new one. I see on ebay there are tons of new ones with keys for sale, for less than $20, any good?

Also Fuel sensor looks pretty much shot, the metal seems pretty thin, so the rust has gotten to it pretty good. I left in the tank with cleaner, it cleaned up a good amount. I'm wondering if I should just leave it in there with Rust Blast cleaner? At the very least just to have the hole plugged up, could it still work? I have a line on an almost new one from an '06 bike, would this fit?

My other question is after the rust blast, the next step is the sealer. The lines leaving the tank should be ok not plugged or anything? Don't think it would be possible to even get in the tank to plug them up :/

Will it be necessary to get a new petcock?

I'm hoping to atleast get the bike up and running, at the very least to be able to bring it to a reputable shop in my neighborhood for the carb cleaning and inspection.

Thanks,
              Joe

Comment

Tires have a decomposition time of 5 years, at that time they need changed.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

The rubber gets hard and you won't have traction on them
                  The 06 tank will work
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Thanks, what's a good place for tires?
                    Just ordered the fuel level indicator for the tank. I'll use the old to keep a seal on tank, while finishing the rest of the cleaning steps.

Comment

I got a set of conti motions for 170 shipped from bikebandit.com. ordered Saturday pm. Arrived Tuesday afternoon

Comment

metzler me z2 ride nice on mine

Comment

I wouldn't put Metlers on a lawn mower or Dunlop either. Jm2c. Contimental tires are good for the cost.
                          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                            I wouldn't put Metlers on a lawn mower or Dunlop either. Jm2c. Contimental tires are good for the cost.
                            HA! I ran a continental on my old RF and it was okay. Great on cars, just okay on bikes. I am curious to know what you decide as I will be buying new tires eventually once I get my build right.
                            Follow my custom build thread! (check first post for major updates and to sell me parts!)

Free Parts

Comment

Michelin PR 2,3 or 4. 2 is more sport oriented 3&4 more touring 4 being the newest model
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X