X

Fuel Octane Reccomendation for Pre98s

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Octane Reccomendation for Pre98s

So I know pre 98s dont need any in line fuel filters and that they are meant for 87 octane gas. I was wondering what everyone here uses. Its very hard to find ethanol free gas in Canada and I am leaning towards using a higher octane fuel (91 or 89 octance) as it tends to have better detergency and less carbon buildup. However, I don't want it to cause issues with smooth running if its resists detonation too much.

Canadian tire, shell, and Costco all have ethanol free 91. I run it in all my bikes.

Comment

Thank you sir!

Comment

Putting higher octane fuel in will do nothing for performance, 87 is accepted. If you're worried about buildup, use an additive. If you're would about ethanol, use a higher grade, use an additive, or daily commute and run through tanks. Ethanol free gas is nearly impossible nearly everywhere now, anything under E10 shouldn't cause a problem to a clean set of carbs on a bike that is run often.
        - Purplehaze
        All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
          Putting higher octane fuel in will do nothing for performance, 87 is accepted. If you're worried about buildup, use an additive. If you're would about ethanol, use a higher grade, use an additive, or daily commute and run through tanks. Ethanol free gas is nearly impossible nearly everywhere now, anything under E10 shouldn't cause a problem to a clean set of carbs on a bike that is run often.
          You're right, and I run whatever I can find when I'm touring or on a long ride, and then I'll run whatever's cheap, it'll be gone in a couple hours. But if it's available, and it costs just 1 dollar more per tank, I can't say no to ethanol free. So I just make my 'home' gas station one that has it.

Comment

Any reccomendations for fuel additives ?

Comment

Working...
            X